Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: synthetic oil or slick 50

BigDaddy
    hey I am wondering if any one has had any Problems with synthetic oil or slick 50 in 455 olds or any application as long as it is in a Jet boat or v-8 powered Boat and the pros and cons and is it worth it I use it in my Race car Butt dont know if i should in my Boat or use Royal Purple Please coment or leave any question or reply Thanx.
    BigDaDDy

GN2RVER
    Originally posted by BigDaddy:
    hey I am wondering if any one has had any Problems with synthetic oil or slick 50 in 455 olds or any application as long as it is in a Jet boat or v-8 powered Boat and the pros and cons and is it worth it I use it in my Race car Butt dont know if i should in my Boat or use Royal Purple Please coment or leave any question or reply Thanx.
    BigDaDDy
    Been using 10w30 Mobil 1 Sythetic in my 454 BBC. Works fine.

Chestah Cheetah
    Having my 455 put back together this week and I plan on using Mobil 1 synthetic, been hearing good stuff about it.

CC, make sure you break the engine in with regular oil, not the synthetic. Put the synthetic in at first oil change.

Chestah Cheetah
    Thanks for the tip Oldsquirt! We're also gonna install Mondello's oil restrictors like you advised before. As far as break in, any tips?
    Where are you located? You coming out to Copper Castaic on Sunday? I'm stenciling your name on 12er.
    [This message has been edited by Chestah Cheetah (edited August 25, 2001).]

jet496
    I heard from a pro, who used to work in the oil industry, that you should use a synthetic blend if you already had regular oil in your motor. He recommended a Valvoline 10-40 synthetic blend. Don't know if it matters, but that's what I use at this point. I've also heard nothing but good things about Mobil 1.

BigDaddy
    Cool I have had lots of luck in Race cars with Synthetic Oil and in other Boats and it is a good Idea to Braek it in good like Two Oil Changes at least Before Putting in The None friction Type Oil or Synthetic Oils. I am thinking of using that Royal Purple I have used Torco Oil and have Had real Good luck with it Becouse of the Zinc Blend That they use for the friction reducer Butt I dont Know That it matters what Kind Just as long as it reduces the friction and doesnt break Down like conventional Oils do Under stress and or Heated Conditions any way Thanx everyone and Keep on Jetten or just Keep on Floaten.
    BigDaDDy

best1syn2oil
    It may be wise to check the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) website regarding sanctions against many manufacturers of oil "treatments" . It's not a pretty picture at all. A premium synthetic has all the necessary ingredients in it. When mixed with the products mentioned(many of which contain chlorine compounds)there can be a disagreement between chemicals to say the least. This cannot be good for anyone's investment.

nastyhabit
    oldsquirt is right about break in , but synthetic is a wast of time you still have to change it the same amount its a boat not a car it runs at high rpm almost 100% of the time in my old 18ft squirt 455 mondello moter 450 hp i ran strait 50 weight,in nasty i run strait 60 weight val racing oil 750 hp and shes 8 years old just turn key and go. a 350 hp moter is just the same call some JETBOAT moter builders to find out, not car people---nasty

Old Charger
    I think I was reading it in one of the tech articles in Hot Boat....
    Synthetic in a boat is probably a bad idea. Inherently, synthetic is super slippery. Thus it tends to slip into oil pan over a period of time. Overnight, such as in cars isn't a problem. But since you dont drive your boat as often, you would be leaving your engine vulnerable to heavy wear at start up.
    Now, this is just something I read, but sounds like a very sound theory. I personally love that synthetic stuff. Mobil 1 is the shizznit. Yes, if your very anal, you'll be changing every 3000 like you should. But if yer like me, lazy, synthetic will last alot longer before viscosity break down, especially in high revving applications such as boats, jets inparticular.
    Hey look.... I just found 2 pennies... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif
    [This message has been edited by Old Charger (edited October 03, 2001).]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast