Thread: Droop Snoots & Wedges

jet496
    I recently installed a droop snoot on my 2001 Ultra Stealth.
    I throw a MONSTER rooster tail now. I LOVE IT! Must be compensating for something I guess (Doc, it all started when I was 13,the 18 year old neighbor girl decided she wanted me, I tried to resist, but...) Oh, I'm sorry, I must have gotten off track there..
    Anyway, I also gained a couple mph according to my speedo (was 61 - now 63). It feels like I'm going alot faster though.
    My bow rides higher (of course). The Place Diverter comes in handy here.
    QUESTION: What would a wedge do at this point?
    I have a friend who has a droop with the wedge pointing down. Why?
    Is it to prevent the bow lift after installing the droop?

77charger
    A wedge will either increase your rooster tail or decrease it depends on which way you install it.pointed down you get more downward degrees and up you get a higher degree angle and more boat out of the water.
    if you do that your boat will have a higher chance of porpoising.

froggystyle
    A wedge at this point would REALLY be compensation for inadequate parts! The droop already has 4 degrees of up, which effectively gives you 50% more than the 8 degrees the place gives you. Adding another wedge is purely for the tail, and will not help performance. I don't think anyway.

flat broke
    Originally posted by jet496:
    I recently installed a droop snoot on my 2001 Ultra Stealth.
    I throw a MONSTER rooster tail now. I LOVE IT! Anyway, I also gained a couple mph according to my speedo (was 61 - now 63). It feels like I'm going alot faster though.
    My bow rides higher (of course). The Place Diverter comes in handy here.
    QUESTION: What would a wedge do at this point?
    I have a friend who has a droop with the wedge pointing down. Why?
    Is it to prevent the bow lift after installing the droop?
    It depends on how you were to install the wedge. Hypothetically you might put in a 2 degree wedge upside down to counteract some of the 4 degree lift in the droop. This would probably more likely be done on a smaller boat where you wanted to lower the thrust line with the droop, but did not want the added up angle associated with the droop. It could well be that your friend has a droop with 8 degrees of up built into it, in which case he is probably trying to tune some of that out by adding the wedge upside down for a down nozle effect. The last reason you might add a wedge to a droop is to get it to clear the water. You don't want the droop dragging when your're on plane, so he might have added the wedge to get the droop out of the water to reduce drag.
    Hope that helps,
    Chris www.liquidaddiction.net (http://www.liquidaddiction.net)

Blown Sleek
    Hey Jet edge stealth only goes 61 ir 64? My sleek is doing about 75 and when I spoke to G.S. he said his little eighteen foot ? does 80 with ease (I think he said)with single carb. Is you'r boat not lighter and more eficiant than ours? I know everyone goes 90 but on the water it seems they do a little less huh? I hear great things about the Stealth. Run what ya brung tomorrow or sun?

Blown Sleek
    What I am trying to say is you would unlike most be pretty happy with G.P.S. or radar readings. (You are probibly going faster than you think!)(or you got a problem)I always wanted to try a droop I run a wedgeand it seems to do nothing different w or wo. since jetovator over does it anyway?
    See ya at the river or? Take care.

77charger
    tim you going tomorrow?i cant make sun.

jet496
    The boat weighs about 2800 lbs & has some hook in the bottom. They've retooled it since. Was told I could wait for the retooling but, I wanted it now.
    I definetly feel like I'm going faster than 63 but I really don't think with a jet set-up on this boat I'm going to do much more without some serious HP. The 496HO is rated at 415 hp(apparently 450 on the dyno).
    Since I have a wife and 2 young boys, they're pretty lucky it doesn't go faster. I've been in serious thoughts to build a faster boat (80 to 90 mph is just fine). Was thinking about a pickle fork with a s#*tload of HP (possibly even an outboard-God forbid-I really like jets).
    Any thoughts on a good hull for that.
    PS: This boat would be for me only (and a few crazy friends & family). I'd keep the family boat for the wife & kids to play in (plus for Meade & Powell) while I scream up & down the water hootin' & hollerin'
    [This message has been edited by jet496 (edited March 15, 2002).]