Thread: Trailer Bunks - To Glue or Not to Glue

rsr
    Changing bunks out this weekend, wood and carpet all bought - one last question - do must glue their carpet to their wood or not. Seem to remember a buddy of mine using 3m spray adhesive to hold the carpet down during the initial stapling so it didn't shift around too much. I've heard of others using carpet glue? What's the general consensus? Thanks in advance for any and all help. :idea:

InKahntrol
    What I usually do is coat the wood in fiberglass resin, then put the carpet directly down on the wet resin and finish it off with stainless nails or staples. The resin pulls double duty: it acts as glue for the carpet, and seals the wood and makes the bunks last MUCH longer. Just my .02

dmontzsta
    I have always used Thompsons water sealer and put about 2-3 coats on, until the wood will not soak it up any longer. Never used any glue, just cut the carpet to size and staple up, it gets a little tricky but just work it and it looks clean.

RitcheyRch
    Never thought of that but does seem and sound like a good idea. I will have to remember that for my future boat.
    What I usually do is coat the wood in fiberglass resin, then put the carpet directly down on the wet resin and finish it off with stainless nails or staples. The resin pulls double duty: it acts as glue for the carpet, and seals the wood and makes the bunks last MUCH longer. Just my .02

burtandnancy
    The key word there was "stainless" staples...