Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcoming myself to your ranks!

UltraJet
    Hello all of you good people out there (jet boaters = good people)! I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Dan, I'm 29 years old, I live in Anaheim, and I am now a first time boat owner. My Ultra 21 XS (the old 210 RS with some minor changes) will be ready mid June, and I am excited as can be. Nothing fancy on the boat as of yet. Just the standard MarinePower 454 (340 hp?), Dominator jet, Place Diverter, and a somewhat killer sound system. I look forward to asking some of you for advice on upgrades and other technical how-to's. I stick mainly to Parker (last 8 years), and prefer the non-holiday weekends. I love to stay at Echo Lodge, and can't wait for my next trip back. If any of you read this and already have some suggestions for me or my Ultra, or just want to say "hey!", I'll keep my ear to the ground. Goodbye, and thanks.

dcraig
    Not sure what performance expectations you have, but I would recommend upgrading to the 454 mag engine (390hp). If performance is what your after in the future, this motor will give you much more potential (forged parts, better heads, better intake manifold, etc). Sounds like a nice ride. What kind of jet did you decide on?

UltraJet
    dcraig, got your reply. I think the jet is the Dominator 12-S. What more do you know about the Mag motor. I think i'd be cutting it close, but could probably still get them to throw that thing in instead of the standard. How much more would I expect them to charge for it? How much more speed dould I expect from the 50 hp gain?

Jetmugg
    Back in '98, I bought a brand new California Performance 19', with the 340 HP Marine Power engine, a Dominator 12S pump, and place diverter. The boat would run 63 mph with this engine. This past winter, I put a bunch of money into this engine (new heads, forged pistons, 502/502 cam, Victor Jr. intake, ARP rod bolts), and now it runs 78 mph at 5200 rpm. I wish I had spent the money up front, I would have saved considerably over upgrading after the initial purchase. I think the biggest bang for the buck is the large oval port heads, instead of the "peanut ports" on the base engine. The upgraded engine will give you more of a performance base for cam swaps, nitrous, etc.
    STeveM.

dcraig
    That is a really good pump to have. Is it a set back pump with ride plate and shoe? If you want to go much over 60mph, you really need it in the 21 footer.
    I don't know if they would throw it in your deal, but it should run about another $1,200-1,500 more. The mag motor has a forged steel crank, forged rods, forged pistons, rectangle port heads, better intake, larger oil pan, etc.
    Even if your not going for top speed, this motor will take more abuse and last longer due to the better internals. As a result, its also rated for more rpm. I believe its rated for 5,000rpm instead of 4,600rpm with the 340 hp motor. This gives you more latitude in choosing an A or AB impeller.
    From a top speed standpoint you might pick up 2mph with the mag motor.
    John West knows exactly what you'd get by upgrading. Talk to him at length about your expectations, both upon delivery, and future goals. This will make decisions easier.

dcraig
    I agree with JetMugg. The 340hp motor is OK but your performance options are limited and expensive. Hey JetMugg what heads did you buy and how much (If you don't mind me asking?). Im either thinking of a head & cam upgrade or a low 125hp NOS kit. NOS is cheaper but would be limited to short top end spurts instead of having consistent performance gains with the heads/cam.

MellowYelloW
    Welcome ....I too visit the parker strip often. we stay at Riverland. we will be there june 15-17. maybe we will see you out there.

Jetmugg
    I bought the Bowtie aluminum oval port "signature series" heads with mild porting and 2.25/1.88 valves. I got them from Sallee Chevrolet for $1500 complete. These are the same exact castings as the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, but Sallee does a little more work to them, and added the larger valves.
    (It's only money)
    SteveM.

HBjet
    Ultrajet, Echo Lodge is OC in Parker. It seems like everyone in OC stays there. I'll be there 6/8-6/10 & 6/22-6/24, hope to see you out there. I say just put a bunch of girls on your boat and you won't even think about performance upgrades. Have fun!
    HBjet

Brad71
    Congrats. I hope someday to buy a new boat. Too rich for my blood now. Where are you going to keep the boat? On my last topic I stated that I know of a new and cheap place to store a boat in Parker. Happy cruising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast