Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Best all around small jet boat

HBjet
    A few years ago (4) I talked to Scotten about a 19 gullwing, the layup I wanted, the color, the interior, the pump set back, diverter, trailer, basically everything less motor was 17k.....again, that was 4 years ago.
    HBjet

1quickjet
    Originally posted by froggystyle:
    Was that the blue and white jobber with flowcoated flooring? I saw that boat a couple of weeks ago.
    Bad ass boat.
    Actually, Froggy it was mainly green. It had some white and some different blues for accents, and a pinstripe of yellow. It doesn't sound so hot, but it really looked nice for a green boat. Very clean and different. This one had a BBC, single carb, no setback, ride plate, shoe, no droop. Looked like an immaculate river ride. He was just finishing it. Someone is having some fun about now. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

Bense468
    Originally posted by GM Killer:
    Jim Guthrie has a nice 19 gullwing for sale. It is red with graphics, and complete minus the motor. The pump is fresh. If I remember he was asking 12500
    Do you have any pics and how light is the lay up? I think I may have seen this somewhere before. If I remember right it had some wild graphics on the bow. Black and white checkered. I may be wrong

Bense468
    Originally posted by HBjet:
    A few years ago (4) I talked to Scotten about a 19 gullwing, the layup I wanted, the color, the interior, the pump set back, diverter, trailer, basically everything less motor was 17k.....again, that was 4 years ago.
    HBjet
    Right on Randy thanks.

1riverrat
    I'm the guy with the two gullwings that DJDplacecraft is talking about. In both boats I can back off the gas and the boat still goes straight. The light lay-up one I have has a stock 429 right out of a station wagon for now it does about 64 mph. I love the way they ride. Here is a crappy pic if you look close there is not alot of boat in the water for the speed.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~riverratt...ges/river1.jpg
    [This message has been edited by 1riverrat (edited June 07, 2002).]

1riverrat
    [This message has been edited by 1riverrat (edited June 07, 2002).]

LOWRIVER2
    The green one is a standard 19 gullwing and was delivered to it's happy owner Monday. It has a Scotten built 468 ski motor and the fades on the deck are really nice. The "hockey sticks" on the deck were modified and look really nice. The boat lives in Riverside Co. and will be at Lost Lake and other points south with a group who have 5 CP's. One guy has a new 18ft. on a race dolly so it fits in his new 26ft. Santek trailer. Real nice way to go different places.
    B468,
    Scotten does'nt usually take photos of his boats as he likes for them to all be a little different. He's made around 480 of them now and for the most part, they are. The price for a new 19 gullwing sans motor is right in the same ballpark HBjet was told four years ago.
    HBjet,
    Yeah, the deck is light but I got a picture with WN sitting on it and it did'nt crack (yet!). If you need to stand on your deck, it's time for an open bow! J/K
    There are a lot of nice small jetboats to go fast in, I just think Wrightnow's is cool because it was so cheap to get all the types of use and reliability he got from it. I'm sure he'll show up to the Op6 meet. Go for a ride in it and be the judge. It can hang with the big boys off the line, that's for sure.
    As far as I know (limited at that)the gull wings were started by Earl Smith of Texas Tunnel fame and the molds were bought by Scotten before he made some changes. Other gullwing companies who got molds were Sunkist, Mantra and couple others. The older ones were layed up lighter and you won't see a new one at those weights. The older ones also look a little wavy on the sides because of this (although wavy sides don't always mean it's a true light weight hull). The way to tell a CP from a another brand gullwing is by looking at the start of the "drop down" of the outside strake on the side. CP's drop down further back than the other brands.
    The last new CP in Hot Boat mag. was June 97". It was a 19, red with a 509 that ran 94 in the test (standard, regular lay up hull). The owner sold it to make the 00 Blue,purple,wht. #36 18 that runs regularly at LL.
    Scotten has just finished another 19 (yellow) for a customer and is gonna start soon on a new 19 to have in stock. Bense468, I think it's got your name on it!
    LR

Bense468
    Oh I wish. Thanks for the info. I have wanted one of these since I was 19. I was mis-informed when I was 19 that they were to light for the river and they only made race light hulls until I was about 21 or so. I just turned 23 have had my beismeier since I was 18 and it is moving along really good but I would like to step up. I have the power plant. It is running real strong, should be running a lot better this year with the new heads, cam and intake. I don't have the cash for one right now (just bought a house)but maybe by winter or so I will be able to get rid of my hull and get on a CP. I have been going to the races watching them set, talking to as many people as I can about them. I want a gullwing I know that for sure. One that I can take to the river so a more solid built one. By any chance do you know how heavy wrightnows is? I talked to him a long time ago just forgot. Anyway I have learned a lot and done just about everything to my boat that I can do to learn. I even capped the boat myself. It does need new gell but looks ok. I just don't want to spend anymore on this hull. I want to build my dream boat. Thanks for the info.

Bense468
    If he is going to be laying one up soon I would not mind going down and seeing it and talking to him to get some ideas though of what we can do.

Jetmugg
    I had (past tense - boo hoo) a 19' CP Gullwing Open Bow I bought directly from Scotten in '98. The boat was absolutely beautiful, with about 7 shades of blue highlighted by yellow and green. It turned heads and dropped jaws everywhere I took it. The open bow area was very handy for floating and lounging, and the storage under the fold-up bow section was great. Scotten said he didn't like making the open bow model, because of the extra work involved and the added weight in the front end. Mine was fairly mild (about 475 HP) and had thru-transom exhaust for the "family" image. This boat was absolutely great for skiing, cruising, relaxing, and hot-rodding. It ran a best of 83 mph with the mild engine. I am still kicking myself for selling that boat, but I needed money at the time. A guy in Alaska bought it, and had it shipped all the way up there. He loves it. For my money, you won't go wrong with a Gullwing.
    SteveM

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast