Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good hull? How does it compare to a Spectra or Schiada?

First let me ask if the photo boat has 'non-skid' around the outer deck area? Next, let me say that "Crusader" is ONE OF THE MOST COPIED (stolen, splashed, ripped off) names on the west coast! To the comment, "all of the 21' boats look the same to me", PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE BAR! Centurian built 2 different 20'21' boats. The first was very similar to the Eliminator 20', the other was just like the Dimarco, Ultra, Ultra-Warlock, and many others. Rick Lee (who drove a number of fast circle boats in the past) started his own boat company (with his father-in-law's money) and proved to be a great business owner. He 'used' many of the top designs of that day and did an excellent job in crafting his boats. Later he moved into "ski boats", and built some very nice stuff. The "Carrera 20.5" is a Crusader design, the "Howard 23' offshore" is a Crusader design, the "Commander 20.6" is a Crusader design. Your boat looks like the 'Eliminator' style boat, if it is, it will not be a good "V-drive", it will be a great jet, a 'fair' I/O, and will be a pig with O/B.
    Crusader the most splashed boat? No fockin way. The most splashed boat of any era is the 16 Tahiti followed by the 18 Southwind, followed by the 20 Spectra. The Crusader is pretty far down the food chain when it comes to out right splashing.
    The Howard 23 (skinny version) was a 'California Cool' boat and the molds were bought from the owner/designer/tooler, not splashed and the other 23 Howard offshore was built from a set of Hocking molds that the owners bought via Rudy Ramos. Had nothing to do with Crusader. Nor do they resemble in any way a Crusader. I rigged for both owners of both sets of molds before and after they were Howards.
    If anyone needs to "step away form the bar", I think it might be you.

SPECTRABRENT
    I'd say same club as a Spectra, Sanger, Connelly, not sure if in the same arena as a Schiada, Howard, Hallett.
    Thats funny.
    Brent

Squeezing Spectra
    Damn piece o crap spectras LOL

Scape Goat
    same hull as the 20.5 eliminator
    for this you want taller gears and small prop to run faster than a typical ski boat.
    sharper v cases to role over and nose dive while kicking out the tale not fun.
    test drive it if you break 60-70 safely then you are safe in my apinion.
    but don't take my word for it

SPECTRABRENT
    Damn piece o crap spectras LOL
    Maybe one day I will be able to step up to the next arena, but for now
    I will just settle for my POS Spectra(s).
    Brent

Squeezing Spectra
    Gee can i hang out it both arenas ?

bocco
    It does look like the same hull as my Eliminator 20.5. Also similar rigging. Mine uses the same electric motor for the cav plates. Can't tell from the pictures if it has a ski locker but that is a good place to look and see if the stringers run full length. Also looks like a great deal for under 10K. Also look back by the transome on the inside to see if it has 4 stringers.
    Old Rigger, do you know who had that hull first? Was it Eliminator? And who splashed it from who?

spectras only
    [QUOTE=MoJetBoPar]Centurion is technically still in the business.
    Hey MoJetBoPar, when see you post with my boats in your avatar ,I think you should pay royalty to me :wink: J/K

bigkatboat
    Old rigger, the Crusader 20'6", IS the Carrera 20.5, and the Commander and the Hawaiian. (and a few others) The 'Hocking' boats are the 'Howard 20'6", and the 22', NOT THE HOWARD 23'! Just ask Bob Sepulveda (of Advantage boats) he was selling those 23' Crusaders back in the early 1980's. Yes everyone 'splashed' the Southwind, (I'm old friends with Smiley) but Commander and Carrera made so many of those 20'6" boats that it is not even close. I've even got a poster of one of my boats on the wall, Rick Cline (call him on the phone and ask him) gave it to me. He took an unbelieveable photo of one of my boats, in the air. He was in a 23' Crusader (with the GOLD package) when he shot the photo. That was 1988, way before 'Calif. Cool' was ever in business. Did 'CC' make any original designs? Well maybe that really narrow thing that was all openbow. It's nice to "reminisce", but let's not twist the facts. Also, the Bahner 21 is WAY MORE copied than the Spectra 21 or 16 Tahiti. Eliminator, Ultra, Commander, Ultamate- Warlock, Caliber 1, Aftershock, shit only a few people didn't splash it. If you remember back a few years, a couple of companies started their ENTIRE LINE on 21' Bahner bottomed boats. By the way, Crusader built the original cats that Hawaiian is now doing, remember the "Arabian" and the "Stallion", off shore boats? I'm talking gross numbers of boats sold, not at a given time, but over all the last 35+ years.

bigkatboat
    "Ape", sorry to 'crash into your post'. I had a customer back in the 80's with a Rick Lee Centurian (like your's) it had a 440 wedge Mopar with a 6/71, 1.29 C500, 9 degree shaft angle. It had my plate set up and we changed the prop placement (forward) then used a smaller (11 1/4" X 16) prop. The smaller diameter stopped the hull from 'rolling off' at high speeds. With a 12" prop the hull would roll to one side and make the boat uncontrolable. The small prop slips at low speeds, but really runs up top. Wider, longer strakes would help that boat "like" a V- drive. In fact, I wrote a tech column for Hot Boat and used this boat as an example. (back around 1990)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast