Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: solid steering

FlatUgly
    Wondering if there is a better setup than the chain/cable/setup originally in my 70 rayson craft lp, I saw a really nice solid linkage setup in a sanger hydro awhile back. Any ideas , pictures would be great even of a clean cable setup, Cuase Im not sure I have all the pieces to for that thanks Ryan
    ?

Dana Marine Products
    GSM makes a system called Calgo Steering. It's compact, strong, easy to install, and cheaper than a chain and cable set up. It's a pre-wound rotary style helm with opposed exiting 3/16" stainless cables. The kit includes jacketing that you install over the cables. The system is designed to use with a high strength tiller arm. The kit includes the helm, dash post, adapter, cables (pre installed), cable jacketing, adjusting bulkheads for the stringers, & a connection kit for the tiller arm. Sells for roughly $750.00.

Sked
    Wondering if there is a better setup than the chain/cable/setup originally in my 70 rayson craft lp, I saw a really nice solid linkage setup in a sanger hydro awhile back. Any ideas , pictures would be great even of a clean cable setup, Cuase Im not sure I have all the pieces to for that thanks Ryan
    ?
    Trimetric Specialties made a mechanical race boat steering, most likely the one you saw in the Sanger. Unfortunately they are no longer in buisness.
    Schroeder Racing Products currently makes a similar unit that I've discussed with them about using in boats. For more info you can contact them at:
    Schroeder Racing Products — steering boxes for sprint cars
    800 South Flower Street
    Burbank, CA 91502
    (818) 845-8283
    The mechanical set up is pretty trick but most likely expensive. (I don't have current pricing) Personally I would use a high quality cable and pulley set up such as Bergerons. Tough to beat.

Boatmike
    My boat doesn't have the chain and cable setup. It has a sprint car setup and i really like it, it's almost like the outbaord steering setup in a hydro. I will take some pics and post them.

Mike,
    I remember checking out the steering in your boat years ago at Dago's.
    I was told then that it ws the Tri-metric deal. Definatly a trick set up.
    Does it throw the rudder as far as cable steering??

Boatmike
    It seems to. I really like that setup. If I were to put together a boat I think I would go that route again.
    I was just looking for my camera and I think I left it in my office. I will post pics tomorrow.

JWM
    Flatugly: Casale makes a mechanical steering system. Hemi eng. made an outstanding system years ago but as most old marine company's, No longer in business.
    If you want a Calgo system I will give you one for free. I take them out of V-Drive boats and install a cable, pulley & chain style systems. There not designes for performance V-Drive boats. Rudder torque will cause slack or lack of tension in one cable. Jet boat application is ok.
    Jim Wilkes
    Wilkes Marine

steveo143
    I have a hemi eng. steering box that I just took out of my 21' dimarco that I am totally redoing. The solid steering in that boat was totally fabricated from the steering helm on back. I had to use a steering console from the dash to the floor. It worked great. very strong, very responsive, trouble free. The steering box is in great shape.

GofastRacer
    Just stick with the tried and trued simple reliable cable setup, it's still being used by the faster boats today, why get complicated and expensive!..

I agree, chain and cable. Keep it simple and positive. Majority of racers use it for a reason. Not that expensive either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast