Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: My new tunnel hull

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Hey Pipes I dont think any one thinks bad of 396,it is just the point of the guy not getting his stolen boat back.
    Finders keepers
    Jake
    I feel ya jake, but they do notify the owners of thier property and if they dont claim it then they sell it legally. 9/10ths of the law is POSESSION!

NELSON#109
    thats the way it goes, like u all said. it was up for grabs, & it went to a good home. theses things are hard enough to come by.... + if my boat dissapeard, i would think that id say somthin, and we'd be able to work somthin out... with these kind of boats, were usually intimate about them.... i dont know squat about this deal, but if it is what it sounds like, than its nice to see it close to bein back on the water....????

vdrivenman
    this is the way it goes !
    IF the owner filed a report and had the proper information
    the boat had to be entered into NCIC or the states stolen data base to be picked up or the theives had to tell LE it was stolen to be able to seize the boat. if it was entered then ALL the owners info was in there.the info contains the date of theft,case number and complainants name.
    when a stolen vehicle of anytype is recovered a teletype message is automatically sent to the Original agency. they pull the case number and check the file. if insurance has paid off on this claim they are now listed as the owner. as a courtesy i contact the prior owner and advise them. i contact the insurance company and tell them it is recovered.
    then if the original owner wants to work something out with insurance company fine. they then call and tell me to release the vehicle to this person.
    on numerous occassions the insurance company will say we paid off on that claim, but have NO interest in that property. we will send you the paperwork and the county or city can sell the item for what ever they want. problem is the title is a salvage title,but still good for ownership,just not resale.
    Boats don't contain secondary numbers like cars and are very hard to trace back.
    lets wait & hear from the original owner. it may not have been in his best financial interest to take the boat back, or he may have already purchased another.i don't think the insurance company is required to notify you it was recovered once they have paid the claim.
    396 is now the legal owner and i would have done the same thing(bought it) !
    you'd be surprised the stuff that goes at these auctions !

flat broke
    Jim, The guy sells mufflers. He just bought it at the auction to make a few bucks. he didnt know what he had and I did
    That's kinda funny considering that you popped up another thread asking about the boat. Maybe whatcha should have said is "he didn't know what he had, but I figgured it was worth more than $1000
    I'm glad that another ***boater got it, and it didn't get bulldozed, but I know if it was my old boat, I'd really appreciate the phone call you mentioned you were going to make.
    I'm sure you have every legal right to the boat etc. But that was someone's race boat, and a lot of time and effort goes into a deal like that. Some folks spend more money and time on their race boats/cars, than they do on the rest of their lives (the beat down 1979 truck that barely makes it to the drags, towing the flat or jet that contains parts purchased with every last cent the guy could scrape up). Do the right thing and at the very least call the guy. If he really has moved on, he'd probably be happy to help you with information on the setup etc. And if he didn't get a replacement ride, maybe he'd make you a fair offer to get his boat back.
    The last thing... That boat is not a toy. Not the kind of boat you go to the lake and F'aroud in if you have any kind of HP in it. If the boat has the same setup that was used for racing, odds are it's a little agressive (dangerous)for average lake use. Bottom line, its a differnt caliber of boat than the stuff you've had before; respect it.
    Chris

Jetdriver
    The good thing is........It didnt end up cut up and trashed. Its in good hands now
    Thats what Im sayin!!!
    Keep us posted on your progress with it!

Keithb87
    I saw this boat in person today. What a beautiful boat.. :supp:
    396 is a great guy and I don't see why some people are flaming him for such a great find..
    Yeah, I'm a little jealous but props (or should I say jets) to 396 for finding such a boat and putting it back on the water..
    Keith (wish I would of found it first) B87

moneysucker
    I will be interested to see what the previous owner says. Hopefully some insurance co was stupid enough to give him full coverage. I can not get ins. on mine so I would be looking into a way to get it back. Race boats are next to impossible to insure and the sad thing is that the theives did not even know what they were stealing. The pump and ratchet are almost worth more than the motor that they stole. I hope this works out and the owner was paid by the insurance co and he is not out on this. 396 great deal. I just hope that the original owner was paid and that is why he did not claim the boat. Please keep us posted.

I saw this boat in person today. What a beautiful boat.. :supp:
    396 is a great guy and I don't see why some people are flaming him for such a great find..
    Yeah, I'm a little jealous but props (or should I say jets) to 396 for finding such a boat and putting it back on the water..
    Keith (wish I would of found it first) B87
    Just to clarify since I posted on this deal. I wasn't bashin 396 for buying it. I only questioned why the previous owner didn't think it was his, when it's clearly the same boat. I'm no cop or insurance investigator so it makes no difference to me. I was merely making an observation.

Wet Dream
    I only questioned why the previous owner didn't think it was his, when it's clearly the same boat.
    Perhaps there was a conversation that went like this:
    Police Dept: Sir, we found your boat, but its less an engine.
    Owner: Great, where can I come get it?
    PD: Its here in out impound lot.
    O: Great, I'll be right over.
    PD: Please bring cash in the amount of $3000 for impound and storage fees. We don't take checks.
    O: Forget it, I already have another hull being made and I'm not shelling out $3000
    PD: Ok, well if you change your mind you know where we are.
    Later on down the line, its time to clean out the impound lot and have an auction. Ya know what I mean?

Perhaps there was a conversation that went like this:
    Police Dept: Sir, we found your boat, but its less an engine.
    Owner: Great, where can I come get it?
    PD: Its here in out impound lot.
    O: Great, I'll be right over.
    PD: Please bring cash in the amount of $3000 for impound and storage fees. We don't take checks.
    O: Forget it, I already have another hull being made and I'm not shelling out $3000
    PD: Ok, well if you change your mind you know where we are.
    Later on down the line, its time to clean out the impound lot and have an auction. Ya know what I mean?
    Yupper, prolly so.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast