Thread: codensor question ?

78Anthonyjet
    I have a 78 Anthony Jet, with a 454. I had a problem with the baot not starting and found that there was a dead short causing the resistor to blow.
    Eventually found that the condesor was shot, causing the short, so replaced the condensor and the resistor, boat fired right up.
    What I am trying to do is understand how all of this work, I am not a gear head yet, just trying to get an explanation in the simplest term possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Norm

jim@pj
    Sounds like you have a distributor with points. A good upgrade would be electronic. Give me a call in the shop tomorrow if you want an explanation. I am in Sonoma Co. Thanks Jim 707-823-6713 www.performancejet.com

Brooski
    I am assuming that you still have a point ignition. To put it in simple terms, the condensor is kind of like a shock absorber, or cushion, for the voltage across your points. The resistor drops the voltage going to the coil from 12 volts to approximately 9.6 volts. Your points inside the distributor open and close, opening and closing the circuit on the ground side of the coil. Each time the circuit is complete, the coil fires, sending voltage through the coil wire to the distributor cap to the plug wires. The condensor helps keep the voltage running through the points steady, so the points wont burn up. So if either of the two items go out, the engine will not start.
    If you want more reliability and dependability, I would suggest an electronic ignition. Your boat will run better, and there is little or no maintenance.
    Hope that answered your question. If not, I got to ramble on anyway. Good luck. Rog

78Anthonyjet
    Roger, thanks for the info, makes sense now.
    Jim and Roger, I have been thinking about changing over, just have to do it and get a couple bucks and a couple hours together to do it.
    thanks to both of you for the info.
    Norm

Brooski
    Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have owned a few boats since 1984, and finally switched to an electronic ignition 3 months ago.