Thread: hard starts

dean51267
    twin 454's, 1993 vintage, carb motors, very hard to start when cold, once warm starts easy, idol's easy, top end seems okay, but choke appears to work just fine. All I can think is the fuel pumps are not priming carbs well, which looks like fuel pressure, but under power boat performs fine.
    Your thoughts?

Floored
    do you have mech. fuel pumps? if so then it has to fill the carbs up which takes awhile. if electric pumps maybe a weak spark to plugs to fire the cold mixture. in older motors if compression is a little lower it doesn't heat the mix as much when compressing and its harder to fire. If Q-jet carbs maybe loose throttle shafts causing vacuum leak enough to defeat the choke somewhat. just tossing some out need more info.

Moneypitt
    I need a little more info on the circumstances that lead to the "hard starts". Like after sitting all winter, or just the next morning after running? More info.........MP

dean51267
    I need a little more info on the circumstances that lead to the "hard starts". Like after sitting all winter, or just the next morning after running? More info.........MP
    after sitting a few days, acts like when the carb bowls empty and take a LONG time to fill up............

GofastRacer
    If you have electric pumps, turn the power on and listen to them, they will slow down to almost nothing when the bowls are full, then give it a couple of shots of fuel should start right up!.. If not check ignition system!..