Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing Nut ??

BigDaddy
    Hey i have a 455 Olds with Tunnel Ram and all the Goods and a Berkley Pump and I have had hell with the packing on the shaft that goes to the pump from the motor it seems to leak all the time but not allot and i have tightened it up and it is tight i dont want to break anything so i need some info about changing it please if anyone could help me or recomend a good one and were to get one i live in Dallas Texas and the pump was built by Mikes pump in Houston i just dont have the number and cant find it and i really hate it leaking. also is the couse of this from running it when the shaft is connected to the pump???.
    Thanx for your reply and e-mail help if you have any info.
    OOps!!!!
    [This message has been edited by BigDaddy (edited February 02, 2002).]

PUMP kin
    Big Daddy,
    Adjust the packing gland nuts- The packing gland can be tightened so no water leaks past it, but if it is set up too tight it will overheat and it's useful life will be shortened.
    If permitted to leak much at low speed, the Jet Drive may show poor acceleration and low sped thrust because air leaks into the suction piece. Berkeley recommends that you only adjust the gland packing nuts with the boat in the water and with the engine running. Always tighten (or loosen) both nuts equally. Thghten nuts until leakage is very slight at idle or at rest then re-check at full speed and, if necessary, thghten until only a very slight spray can be felt at the slinger ring. Check periodically, say every 2 months and 100 hrs ust and tighten more if leakage is too much.
    PUMP
    [This message has been edited by BigDaddy (edited February 02, 2002).][/b][/QUOTE]
    [This message has been edited by PUMP kin (edited February 02, 2002).]

lakecrazy
    Hey Big Daddy haven't heard from you in awhile!
    MPS did my pump also, here is the # 281-820-1559

BigDaddy
    Hey!!! LakecraZZZZy Whats been happening with you ??? you should call or e-mail me some time. and I will call them they are local i think by the number you gave me i think it is local. I have been wondering were ya been at. Fast Dave sold his boat and i dont hear from him much anymore for some reason well his business is doing bad as mine is to but i am trying to over come adversaty etc etc. any way Hey PUMP kin Thanx for your reply as well i will get lakeCraZZy to Tighten it up as i cruise accross the Lake LOLOLOL but i have it pretty tight and didnt want to break it you see I am a Big guy and some times dont know my own strength and Can break it if you know what i mean. But hey Thanx I will try this again.
    Hey lake craZZZZy when we going to the lake again??? sometime soon i hope when it is warm enough outside again like last week but hey call me some time or e-mail me i hope you got my e-mail address Still if not it is wentworthracing@aol.com Talk to ya soon Bro
    Thanx Guys BigDaDDy
    P.S. hey send me instructions on doing smiles again in ubb code and i think 281 area code is in Arizona LOLOL ok ok Having stupid attack again sorry.

Big-Tex
    Originally posted by BigDaddy:
    Hey i have a 455 Olds with Tunnel Ram and all the Goods and a Berkley Pump and I have had hell with the packing on the shaft that goes to the pump from the motor it seems to leak all the time but not allot and i have tightened it up and it is tight i dont want to break anything so i need some info about changing it please if anyone could help me or recomend a good one and were to get one i live in Dallas Texas and the pump was built by Mikes pump in Houston i just dont have the number and cant find it and i really hate it leaking. also is the couse of this from running it when the shaft is connected to the pump???.
    Thanx for your reply and e-mail help if you have any info.
    OOps!!!!
    [This message has been edited by BigDaddy (edited February 02, 2002).]
    Try mikespumpandspeed.com

lakecrazy
    Big Daddy, The boat is torn down right now.
    Sent the carb off to Bigs Performance for some much needed attention.
    Also pulled my headers to have them re-coated with metallic ceramic after the poor job Jet Hot did on them 3 years ago.
    Hope to be back in the water by April or early May.

BigDaddy
    Hey who is doing the coating?? i am having HPC do my coating in oklahoma they are one of the first ones to do coatinga nd do a real good job if you ask me and ya didnt but i told ya any way LOLOL i am a smart ass arnt i LOLOL sorrry just kidding i am messing with ya Crazy except the part about HPC and hey i do have a Account with them if you or any one else needs anything done or coated. I bought my new headers on labor day and had them on on labor day and they are allready turning colors and i dont go out much. They are BASSET over the transom headers and they are turning black quick so i guess i will send them to HPC as well hell i might as well just send the whole dam MOTOR lolol. and hey if ya know any one wanting a 671 Blower i have a friend with one for sale it was on a 454 BBC he wants like $1000.00 for it i think he used it like twice. he now is going to a small block. LOLOL and just for info i did call MPS and asked about my Packing Gland and they told me what to try and or get a new one and put it in well i have not ever done one on a Water Jet Before just on a Faucet valve and or Gate valve Packing gland.
    ALSO Whos is BIG TEX??? lets us know so we can Invite ya out with us here in TEXAS we dont have LAKE HAVASU like some people do here lolol but we do have TEXOMA , Lake Dallas , Lewisville , MUDDY pOND LAVON , Ray Roberts Etc any way we can all get togather some time and Just chill and pee on the TEnniSBall TREE LOLOL or go to Sneaky petes and sneak around the babes and be sure to tell everyone when ya find one and go out for ride and what cove ETC ETC for our veiwing Pleasure LOLOL any way hey Lets Hook up and Go Jetten and Watching.

lakecrazy
    Hey Big D, I had Quality Powder Coating in Carrollton do my Bassetts.
    The have been ceramic coating for 3 years now and they have the process down to an art!
    They have seen alot of Jet Hot's attempts at ceramic coating.
    Hope we have a get together this summer for the area jetters.

BigDaddy
    Hey Lake cazy do you have there number so i can call them or maybe they are listed i will call them and see what i can do i just put those new bassets on on labor day and they have turned color so bad it is like they are ten years old the chrome is turned dark close to the heads and i am used to car racing and not used to them turning so fast but i am thinking of having them done when i get the manifold done while they are doing that i will change the packing nut and yeh i want to get togather if nothing else heck we can just hook up and invite every one and see who shows LOLOL maybe there will be another Tennis Ball tree for me. any way yeh i do loook forward to it hey if you can give me a call some time and or come out to my shop some time and just hang out and talk boats and or go to HOOTERS or something some time heck we dont need the boats to Get togather and talk boats LOLOL so hey talk to ya soon and or see ya soon take care.
    Sincerely BigDaDDy (Shawn)
    http://www.bearshobbies.com/hotrods_signature.gif

Taylorman
    Hey lakecrazy, does quality powder coating do a good looking job on Bassetts and is it durable enough to hold up. My Bassetts have some rust on them and I was looking into getting them powder coated here in Louisiana but the powder coater I use said it would not hold up. I get over to Carrolton a few times a year. My company has a regional office there and I may bring my Bassetts to get done if they do a good job. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast