Thread: block water pressure/solid oil lifter restrictors

US1Fountain
    Hi guys, fairly new here, so hope I can get some much needed answers.
    What is the safe max. water pressure for a 460/Berkley @WOT, 15-20#?
    Also,
    Same motor, Herbert solid roller cam. Anyone hear of putting the lifters in backwards so the oil feed holes are not exposed to the lifter oil passages when on the cam lobe base? Supposively (is that a word?) enough oil will flow past the lifter bore clearance to supply the upper half. This was from a shop that specializes in Fords. When turned around, too much oil goes up the pushrods and floods the springs and starves the rest of the motor. Had one other shop say have to restrict oil to the lifters by installing restrictors at the mains. 2 shops= 2 strongly advised, but different answers. Any thoughts on this also?
    Thanks for any help.

Clutch
    Hey US
    If you figure out how to put a lifter in backwards let me know, like upside down?That won't work, and the lifters rotate in the block other wise it would wear out.But I'm a chevy guy so what do I know. As far as restrictors,I've read some articles that it's not a good idea because restricting the oil reduces the cooling on the springs.Here again thats on a chev. Good luck I'll be looking at this thread to see other response's

mister460
    Clutch is right, if you can figure out how to put a lifter in backwards, let us know! Max safe water pressure? Probably something like 2-3 HUNDRED psi. It's flow you should be concerned with. 15-20# is perfect though.

Americanthunder2
    Hey us1 I have a 460 as well and I had a problem with oil pressure dropping @ high rpm it would go from 80 to 40lbs so I added another quart. now I maintain 65lbs and have had no problems.

Hallett19
    you are having the same prob I am thunder2, I put a HV pump in my 460bbf and at 4500 rpm's it starves the lifters of oil and starts to lose valves and holds about 30 psi of oil press. So I bought a big pan and (crossing my fingers) I hope that works.

US1Fountain
    sorry guys, my bad. Should have been more clear. dooolt! (my poor imitation of Homer Simpson)hehe.
    Theses are solid roller lifters with the verticle tie bars. So when I say backwards, I mean verticle bar towards cylinder vs towards the center of block. Basically swapping intake for exhaust, not upside down. I forget which, but the oil feed hole in the lifters is either on the verticle bar side, or the non side. With lifters in one orientation, when lifters are on base, the hole in lifters are exposed to the oil galley and gets full presure of oil up pushrod, starves rest of motor. With it the other orientation, the hole can never get exposed to the oil galley. The oil hole is in the upper part of full dia. of the lifter, not in the undercut dia. And with the oil galley running on the outward side of the lifter bores, this is what determines wether or not oil flows through the lifter.
    AT2, that is the same circumstances we ran into while on the dyno. Good pressure at idle, but non at high rpms. This is when the dyno shop flipped the lifters around to restrict the flow. Will also say that this motor only lasted approx. 3 hrs before a valve seized up and ........well lets just say over $3000 was spent last winter on this motor and kinda hoped for it to last more than 3 hrs. Dyno shop refused to accept any responsibilty. Have you or Hallet been able to see what is going on inside the valve covers at high rpms? Like is it flooded with oil? Meaning on a dyno or while in neutral. Just something to think about. BTW, this condition only applies to solid lifters, not hydraulic. The hyd. lifters by design do the restricting in themselves.
    Thanks for the replies! Sorry for so long.
    Jerry

Americanthunder2
    Hallet it sounds like you are having the opposite proplem my lifters are getting to much oil and resulting in starving my hv pump so when I added a quart it solved the problem however I think I am going to put in a restricter plate or sheild. I am no expert but if you are only running 30lbs pressure at anything above 3000rpm you will most likly hurt the motor rule of thumb 10lbs pressure for every 1000rpm it sounds like you might plugged somewhere or have flattened your cam I would check it out.