Thread: Rex Marine 10 Qt oil pan clearance issues? Jet

Bryan Rose
    O.k.
    Here we go. Under the advise of many on pan size, I put a 10 qt Dooley pan on my jet during the rebuild. Well I had to modify the front motor mounts to get it to fit , 3 POINT bbc MOUNTS.No problem here. Every thing is ok there. However in the back it is another issue. I had not noticed when installing the motor that it seems the back of the pan sits right on top of the bottom plate of the jet ( the one that goes through the hull on the bottom) I do remember seeing that the previous owner had cut the bolts off flush with the nuts and this must have been for clearence right? so, the pan I took off the motor was a stock truck pan... looked at the bottom today and saw it had a couple of dents in it from I guess those very bolts in the plate... My question is do any of you out there have the same fitiment issues and if so what did you do about it?
    What are the chances of getting a hole in the bottom of the pan from this condition? also what about the oil pump pick up ? I have good oil preasure 45-50 @ idle and 70 running it hard so I do not think it will hurt the pick up at all. I found all of this info while looking for the source of oil in my bilge just trying to narrow down the search a little. The leak looks as if it is running down the back of the block around the bellhousing and into the bilge....most likely culpret here is the seal between the intake and the back of the block... Oil is not a fast leak and has not even registered on the dipstick nor is there any water in the oil Ie: no milkshakebut this is a pain ... I just had the bilge spotlesss and now this...Perhaps it is running out of the breather hole and PCV hole onto the valve covers and back from there... I don't know.
    Help?
    Bryan

hack job
    i had the same issue untill i got a rail kit( made it) what i did is cut the bolts flush with the nuts( yes i said nuts) and prayed that i didnt puncure the pan with them i noticed that motor moved alot with the 3 point system . so when the boat came a part of the great build i figured that it was time for the rail kit.
    sorry i cant be much more help! frown

Hotcrusader76
    Even with a rail kit I had clearance issues with a previous (non-Rex) oil pan. In order for it to clear it had to be ground down some on the front, just enough to clear the pan. Not alot of material was removed, but from my experiences every set-up is different, even if the boats were identical out of the same mold

Every set up is slightly different. Most pumps are close. I've dimpled oil pans to clear things many times in the past, not a problem. Be cognisant of proper oil pickup clearence. You can do this with the round end of a ball pien hammer, put it against the pan and tap it with a second hammer. It shouldn't take alot.

Bryan Rose
    well thats good , but one of those wish I had known before I put the motor back in though... Thanks for the reply anyway , so I guess next time the motor is out I will dimple it where the nut marks are( yes I said Nut also ) .
    Also Rexone, it may be a good thing to do when sending out Jet pans in the future to put a sheet in the box describing what we are talking about here, nothing too elaborate but just a footnote on the spec sheet... might save a little bit of anxiety for the jet customer, just a suggestion... And by the way it is hard to show tone in message boards, I am in no way pissed about the pan and the clearence issue just wanteed an answer... Party on
    Bryan

Hotcrusader76
    I think Bryans pissed....he told me so.

Infomaniac
    The oil galley plugs will leak if not sealed well