Thread: blueprinting bottom

mexrunner
    fliped my boat over and set the straight edge to it and the most it was out is an 1/8 inch so is it worth the effort and how far forward from the transom should i go. is speed coat worth it since i'm re-gelcoatin the whole boat or will buffed out gel be just as slick. whats best to use for straightening out the bottom will normal body fillers work? thanks

Ken F
    Mex, yes 1/8" is worth it. What you should do is go about 6' forward from the transom, since this is probably where your boat rides. Since you didn't say what kind of boat or bottom you are dealing with, I'll assume you are talking about a shallow V. You should go to your outermost lifting strake. Fill gaps by grinding through the gel & barely into the glass with some 80 grit. fill the large gaps with fiberglass cloth until you get it to the point where you can fill to smooth & finish straightening with bondo with stranded glass in it. You don't want the running surface of your boat slick. Leave it rough, as this traps little bubbles of air-almost like tiny ball bearings. I left 80 grit scratches in mine. Speedcoat probably isn't going to make a bit of difference on your boat. Most use it because it is easy to cover bottom repairs, and gives your boat sort of a "stealth bottom" look. If you were racing a tunnel hull, and looking for that last 100th of a second...then speedcoat might be worth it. I seriously doubt that you will ever be able to tell it's on there or not.
    Good luck with your project!
    Ken F

mexrunner
    thanks ken btw its a 19ft rogers tr

MikeF
    I would advise to "not" take the rocker out of the strakes that are on either side of the pump that run all the way to the transom. I'm pretty sure they were made that way for a reason. Fairly sure this is part of the reason why the boat runs a little nose high when @ speed and shutdown is good when pulling out of the throttle. :clover:

victorfb
    not all hulls react the same to modification. what you should do is contact cyclone on the boards and find out what he did to his 19' TR bottom. his hull went 110+ mph so i would think he knows a thing or two on what that hull likes and dislikes. good luck and if you get a chance, pics would be nice.