Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JL 12W3's or W6's

Firewater
    I'm looking to get two 12's to finish off my system powered by two 500/1's.
    Will I expect a huge difference between the two? There is the money issue, but I want it to sound good. Al & Eds in Thousand Oaks seem to be giving me a good deal either way

SoundsGood
    I have two 12w3's. JL recommends 300Watts RMS and 500 max. With two JL 500/1's I would definitely go with the 12w6's. All your cash is already in the amps! Go with subs that can handle it IMO.

Scarlett Fever
    If you are planning on running one 500/1 to each sub I would definitely go with the W6s. Their optimal RMS Wattage is around 400 watts. Thats a little too much power for the W3's because their optimal is about 300 watts. The cost is a factor but they do use the same size sealed box (1.25cu ft per woofer).
    Just a thought if you haven't bought the amps yet...I would go with one 1000/1. The reason is that the amps are rated down to 1.5 Ohm. The lowest you could get wiring one sub to one amp would 1 ohm if you wired a dual voice coil 2 ohm sub in parallel which is too low for the amp, you would be forced to wire a 4 ohm dual voice coil down to 2 ohms. However if you had both subs run off of one amp you could use one 4 ohm sub wired in parallel to get a 2 ohm load and one 2 ohm sub wired in parallel to get a 1 ohm load and then wire them in parallel together to get an overall 1.5 ohm load to the amp.
    A 1.5 ohm load to the 1000/1 will pull more power then a 2 ohm load to each 500/1 separately.

Phat Matt
    If you are planning on running one 500/1 to each sub I would definitely go with the W6s. Their optimal RMS Wattage is around 400 watts. Thats a little too much power for the W3's because their optimal is about 300 watts. The cost is a factor but they do use the same size sealed box (1.25cu ft per woofer).
    Just a thought if you haven't bought the amps yet...I would go with one 1000/1. The reason is that the amps are rated down to 1.5 Ohm. The lowest you could get wiring one sub to one amp would 1 ohm if you wired a dual voice coil 2 ohm sub in parallel which is too low for the amp, you would be forced to wire a 4 ohm dual voice coil down to 2 ohms. However if you had both subs run off of one amp you could use one 4 ohm sub wired in parallel to get a 2 ohm load and one 2 ohm sub wired in parallel to get a 1 ohm load and then wire them in parallel together to get an overall 1.5 ohm load to the amp.
    A 1.5 ohm load to the 1000/1 will pull more power then a 2 ohm load to each 500/1 separately.
    Those amps put out the same power wired at 1.5 or 4 ohms.

ROZ
    Moving air AND current are a goal... 2 power supplies will definitely move current...
    As Matt stated, the slash line amps output is the same 1.5-4ohms... The amp puts out over 500watts anyways(remember that impedance changes durning music play)....500 is the minimum you get.
    w6 will not only handle more power reliably, but it's a better sounding speaker. Also the amp running at 4ohms has less distortion.
    Can a w3v2 handle a 500/1? Yes, but for how long......
    A 1.5 ohm load to the 1000/1 will pull more power then a 2 ohm load to each 500/1 separately. They pull current and produce power

Scarlett Fever
    Those amps put out the same power wired at 1.5 or 4 ohms.
    That doesnt make sense since ohms are a measurement of resistance. Less resistence means more current flowing. It might say that in the manual but then if we believed everything that said where would we be?

ROZ
    That doesnt make sense since ohms are a measurement of resistance. Less resistence means more current flowing. It might say that in the manual but then if we believed everything that said where would we be?
    Under normal circunstances, yes... JL amps are designed differently...
    Yes, resistance between 1.5ohms and 4 ohms the output is the same... Loads less than the 1.5 it makes more power because frequencies when playing music fluctuate impedance on the driver....
    As a result, a retailer doesn't have to have both 2 and 4ohm drivers instock at all times to get the most out of the JL slash line amp.

Phat Matt
    Under normal circunstances, yes... JL amps are designed differently...
    Yes, resistance between 1.5ohms and 4 ohms the output is the same... Loads less than the 1.5 it makes more power because frequencies when playing music fluctuate impedance on the driver....
    As a result, a retailer doesn't have to have both 2 and 4ohm drivers instock at all times to get the most out of the JL slash line amp.
    Thanks Roz.

STV_Keith
    Might you consider any other speakers? Take a look at the Resonant Engineering (http://www.reaudio.com/) subs. I have a pair of their SX series 10's that kick serious butt. They are rated for 1000w RMS, 2000w peak. They offer 12's (and other sizes) as well.
    I paid about $100 per sub less for my 10's than JL 10w6's as well.

NOTALENT
    Might you consider any other speakers? Take a look at the Resonant Engineering (http://www.reaudio.com/) subs. I have a pair of their SX series 10's that kick serious butt. They are rated for 1000w RMS, 2000w peak. They offer 12's (and other sizes) as well.
    I paid about $100 per sub less for my 10's than JL 10w6's as well.
    Hey keith where did u pick the subs up at??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast