Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head unit with ipod question

essexjet
    I have just came out of the ice age and purchased my first ipod. I have to replace my head unit in the boat and would like to get one where I can plug my ipod into it so more more cd's. My question is, do all head units (alpine, kenwood, pioneer...) that have aux input for an ipod can controll the ipod from the head unit or is that just a few like the alpine 9855. Thanks

riverbound
    No, not all. Some have an aux. input built in, some will require additional input adapters. Your local knowledgeable car audio dealer will know wich head untis do and dont offer what yo are looking for.

ROZ
    I have just came out of the ice age and purchased my first ipod. I have to replace my head unit in the boat and would like to get one where I can plug my ipod into it so more more cd's. My question is, do all head units (alpine, kenwood, pioneer...) that have aux input for an ipod can controll the ipod from the head unit or is that just a few like the alpine 9855. Thanks
    Most new models by the mfg's you listed have IPOD integreation of some sort. You don't need to get a unit as expensive as the 9855 in order to get the ipod option, but you will need an IPOD adaptor... Heck, the Pioneer DEHP470mp is IPOD ready(need adaptor) at 180.00 retail... Your local shops should already have them instock...

phebus
    I personally wouldn't want a head unit that the iPod cable plugged into the front of. That is just another wire strung out on deck that can be snaggged by someone or something. I prefer the connection point being out of the way, where I can run the plug in point to the iPod where I want it to be.
    Just a personal choice, but if the plug in is on the front of the head unit, where do you mount your iPod, or do you just set it down somewhere? And how would that work when you are under way?

ROZ
    Hey Chris....I do have the IPod hooked up via an AUX port off of my Sony headunit. It provides good quality sound and does what I want it to do except for being able to control the IPod from my remotes or the headunit.
    If I want to integrate all the functions I have, CD, IPod, XM and regular radio into a new headunit that will use all my exsisting remotes, amps, eliminate the adjunct aux port device, etc.....which head unit would you purchase yourself not taking price into consideration? I mean what would be the best one for the money and ease of transition to it? One that just allows you to plug the IPod Monster Cable directly into maybe the front of the head unit when using the IPod.
    I may just change mine out if I can find what I really want.....I assume you can get it for me, right?
    Tom, Alpine or Pioneer would be my choice. Pioneer will work witht he access tech remotes, but I like Alpine's button layout much better...
    From what I remember, you have Sony products in your boat. I'd look to see what changes in ther line up will be made and go from there. Chances are that the new stuff, while still needing an adaptor, will be much more aux and IPOD friendly... Then again, Sony makes their own media walkmans, so adapting may not be so easy....

ON THE GO AUDIO
    The Alpine Is The Better Unit For The I Pod But You Need A Kca-420i And It Will Charge The Ipod And It Will Work With Alpine Cda9847 And Up The Ipod Interface Is $99 If You Have Any Questions Give Me A Call 760-948-4444 All Hot Boat Fourm Members Get 10% Off

ROZ
    DAVID (Havasu Lover) SAID I GET 40% OFF....LOL
    The profit margin in that piece isn't large enough, but if Havasu Lover said it ....

ON THE GO AUDIO
    He Is Funny But I Will Take Care Of As Best I Can Havasu Luvr Is A Good Guy

ON THE GO AUDIO
    Hey Tom I Am Still Checking On That Ipod Interface For The Sony It Should Be Out This Summer

essexjet
    Most new models by the mfg's you listed have IPOD integreation of some sort. You don't need to get a unit as expensive as the 9855 in order to get the ipod option, but you will need an IPOD adaptor... Heck, the Pioneer DEHP470mp is IPOD ready(need adaptor) at 180.00 retail... Your local shops should already have them instock...
    Thanks ROZ, so with this unit and the adapter I can control the ipod from the head unit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast