Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dead guages

25dic
    I have a 1999 7.4 MPI and all of the guages went south at one time, I had the guages working before I got gas on the river and when I came back off of the gas dock nothing. Has anyone heard of anything like that before and a fix?

OutCole'd
    Have you checked your fuses?

Cheap Thrills
    replace the fuse for the guage cluster :idea:
    make sure you dont have any pinched(shorted) wires esp arround the fuel tank causing the fuse to blow.
    C.T. :wink:

25dic
    I checked power off of the ignition switch and all of the fuses on the fuse block, no problem found(npf). Four wires on all guages, 2 for the back light, the other 2 appear to head back to the motor. I am suspecting all of the guages get sent from the motor?

Cheap Thrills
    the two headed back to the engine are for guage power and the guage sending unit. oil /temp with the switch on at least one of the two wires from each guage should have power on it excluding. the light wires. also the guages should be grounded through the guage housing.

25dic
    One other check I did was pull the plug and use the test light to a good ground and check each of the four pins. I then turned on the lights and had one hot wire and assuming one of the other is the negative for the ground. That left me the 2 in question. Is there a web sight where I can get a schematic for typical guage wiring.

Cheap Thrills

25dic
    Is there a fuse located back at the engine for the guages, all of the fuses up by the guages were good. Thanx for all of the help.

25dic
    Forgot the light and I did check the remaining 2 wires and no 12v.

Cheap Thrills
    or maybe you need to upgade to 40Wt. ball bearings in the rotator splint.
    better get a big hammer you'll need it .
    good luck with it like Shockwave said it has to be one of two things . power or ground to the cluster. yes sometimes there are fuses in the engine /bilge area sometimes mounted to the transom sometimes mounted to the back of the engine. depending on who rigged it last it could be anywhere.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast