Thread: Bushing melt

Fired Up
    I replaced my (rear) strut bushing last week before the race at Ming. Had a little play and went the safe route. I installed one of the (new?) white plastic/nylon bushings. Went in easily and no play in the shaft. All looked good. Went to Ming and I made my first pass Saturday morning and my rpm's were down a bit and I was a little surprised knowing some of the improvements I had made should have improved performance. Checked the motor over and everything looked good. I checked the prop, which is something I do as a safety measure after each run to be sure it hasn't moved and everything is secure and what I found surpised me. A mushroom of melted bushing was oozing around the shaft. I tried turning the shaft and was hardly able to do it. This piece of plastic literally melted and grabbed the shaft causing lots of drag. We removed the shaft (no easy task) and inspected it. All okay. Next was the chore of trying to remove the piece of plastic bushing still intact in the barrel of the strut. This nylon does not cut easily. After sawing with a jab saw, hack saw blade and drilling out with a drill bit the darn thing came out. (Missed my second qualifying pass..thank you very much). It mushroomed on the inside as well. If you see one of these you will notice there are no grooves for lubrication. They are a solid piece of plastic. I thought these were something new and high performance. Not so. I was able to install another one at the course, one of the standard fiber type, and made it to 3rd round on Sunday with the numbers I expected to run.. Much better in my opinion. Thought I would pass this on. Don't know if anyone has had a similar experience. I'm sending back the other half of this plastic piece of danger from the company I bought it from for a good old fiber bushing as a back up.

Fiat48
    We got one from Mettler (whatever material it was) and had no problems with the "Drastic" hydro. It was some kind of plastic deal. Contact Wayne on that and he will be up to speed about these things. Meanwhile I will just use the fiber.

Moneypitt
    Sam, I have talked about the delren plastic bushings with others that seem to know, and the trick is to groove them, simular to the fiber type. (I think). When all is said and done you really can't beat the old fiber bushings, they seem to stand up to just about anything you can throw at them. You are not the first to have the "melted" plastic oozing out of the strut..........Ray

Fiat48
    So did ya run some 10.0's or what?

Fired Up
    Once we fixed the bad bushing problem she ran strong in the 10:00's .The air was good. Made it to third round semi-finals on Sunday.....had a little trouble with those pesky red lights on the tree though.

Fiat48
    Glad to hear it. I know 10's were your goal and going rounds is where the fun is at. Instead of first round runner up.

Speedin' Ian
    We installed one of those nylon bushings and didn't really like the way it felt so my dad pulled out the shaft and cut some grooves in the bushing like you'd see on a fiber one. Next time I think we will just go back to the fiber bushing. As a side note, we did run it for a short while without the groves and we didn't notice any melting but it was very tight.

Schiada76
    So how did the test run go?
    Did that POS water pump work?