Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Speed Prop

Lake Ape
    Hey All,
    Does anyone remember who makes the two-speed shifting prop? They used to advertise in ***boat magazine. I'm not talking about the Land & Sea Torque-Shift™ Prop but the other one that begins with an A I think.
    Thanks,
    Lake Ape!

burtandnancy
    I did a lot of playing with the Land'nSea and it was fun and worked as advertised. Don't know the other brand you mentioned. Of course the very best 2 speed is a turbo 400 with 1st gear locked out, mounted behind a 1,000 hp turbo motor in a ski-race boat...

Lake Ape
    Thanks....I dug in the closet and found an old ***boat magazine. They are called Power Pitch® Pro by Aerostar. They are very expensive but are stainless. I found one at a garage sale the other day, but someone had polished off the name on the hub. We are setting it up on my brothers old Hydrostream Hustler this weekend. He runs a 80's 200 Merc. I will post how it goes....
    Shifting Prop (http://www.aerostarmarine.com)
    http://www.aerostarmarine.com/images/index_18.gif

Tom Brown
    ...Power Pitch® Pro by Aerostar... I found one at a garage sale the other day, but someone had polished off the name on the hub. We are setting it up on my brothers old Hydrostream Hustler this weekend. He runs a 80's 200 Merc.
    I look forward to hearing about it.
    I've never seen one but was keen to find one, at one time. Apparently, their weakness is that they develop play where the blade shaft goes through the hub. Once this happens, you can install bushings and then your golden. This is just hearsay from the forums.
    How about some pics also?

Lake Ape
    Damn, the thing works really, really good! We were able to beat an allison with a 300sx for the first 1/2 mile. The thing worked just like the directions said it would. You just turn the dial a click for every 50 RPMs up to the point that you want it to shift. Once we got it shifting at the right time you just nail the go fast pedal and the whole damn boat comes out of the water and takes off like a bat out of hell. I fell over the front seat and landed in the back! We were having so much fun with the boat that we didn't notice the sherrif was watching our antics. We ended up beating up on the sherrif's boat too. It had two 250 honda's on it. The sherrif wants two of them, lol. I will post some pictures when I get my camera back. This is by far the best performance addition I know of. The boat will stand on it's end if you want it to. I used to never be able to get up on a slalom ski but this boat just jerked me right up with no problems. It thought my arms were gonna come loose though.

Forkin' Crazy
    Hmm, I am not sure of that one, but the L&S will fail if surfaced.

Lake Ape
    Hmm, I am not sure of that one, but the L&S will fail if surfaced.
    Land & Sea no longer sells the Torque-Shift!
    Yes, your right but we didn't have any problems. The prop is stainless with inconel bushings and appears to be bullet proof to a point. Here is what directions say:
    Warranty Notice: Actions such as striking and object, use with modified engines or outdrives, exceeding the rated HP or RPM, competitive events, surface piercing, wave jumping, rooster tailing, etc. are excluded.
    In the low pitch position for all models except the 112P, the pitch is 6" less than the high pitch position. May be used in applications up to 420 HP. Right hand turn only. Other pitches may be available as a special order.

Tom Brown
    I recall some guy on an outboard performance web site said that the Aerostar can be surfaced but I would be skeptical. That's a pile of crazy vibration on those blade shafts.

Lake Ape
    With the inconel bushings the blades have very very little play if any. I assume when it's spinning it probably does but I ain't gonna check. We surfaced it several times on take off and had no problems.

Tom Brown
    We surfaced it several times on take off and had no problems.

That's a whole different ball game than jacking an engine up until the prop shaft is as high as the bottom of the boat and running it there indefinitely.
    Those things tend to go for big money or I'd pick one up to fool around with. I don't need it but it would be sweet to do some testing. It's a fabulous idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast