Thread: need help to find out what i have

here goes i bought a 454 off e-bay and the guy said he got it in a camero that he is restoring. he said the guy he got it from had it rebuilt and did not run it very much. the inside is real clean it has o49 heads on it, the cam is a crane fireball 300 the pistons are flattops. is what i need to know is what type pistons are they and what lift does the cam have? the numbers on top of the pistons are 2375pa 030 and the cam says fireball 300. help i need to know what combination i have. thanks
    pat(slotracer) :lightsabe

blowngas
    If I were to guess, I would say you have a stock cast replacement pistons which are .030 oversized (4.280 bore)----the crane fireball cam is probably either a hydraulic or solid lifter cam that has a gross duration of 300 degrees and another guess on the lift of somewhere between .500 to .600 in. lift----it will run in a boat, as long as you don't try to run 5 miles WOT-----cam probably more duration than prefered, but should hit the bottom end of the power band depending what impellar is in the pump----don't think I would hit it with much nitros

i know the cam is hyd. i seems like i would be better off getting some other pistons if these are cast. sounds like the cam may not be the best for a jetboat with an a imp.
    pat(slotracer) :shift:

Pat, with flat top pistons and those open chamber heads you're looking at a compression ratio in the low to mid 8's.

blowngas
    Question is??---What do you do most with your boat??---typical cruizin, some hot passes, or trying to run with the top dog??----the biggest varible is $$$$----with enough of it, you can have the best of all worlds!!!----most lake cruisers can't pull much more than 5000 to 5500 RPM's with an A wheel and lower compression----so pick a cam that will produce most power from 2000 to 5500 RPM's---(usually somewhere around a 280 to 286 advertised duration, and .500 to .600 lift)---if you consider replacing the pistons, take a good look at the rest of the rotating assembly---is the crank cast or forged??---what size rods?---I'm gona guess again 3/8?----if you have any doubt about running some nitrous, then consider a better rotating assembly----there are several assemblys marketed that have a steel crank, steel rods, forged pistons, bearings, rings, all together for a decent price that will withstand 750 to 850 hp---it sounds like you have the heads off now---check out everything while apart----then decide what you want or expect out of your motor-----use the $$$ wisely and try to only pay for your decision once---and also think about the valves!!!----replacing the exhaust with some severe duty stainless will remove nightmares of broken valves busting up the new pistons!!!----don't mean to discourage you, but get you to think about what your goals are and most value for the $$$

i bought this engine to install in a boat that i bought to get running and sell i just do not want to sell a boat that will not run right. i know about the $$$$ to speed cost believe me i have 5 boats from a 18ft tr1 flat to a 21ft tahiti cruzer. plus a swtd jet also.
    pat(slotracer) :lightsabe

blowngas
    Cool!!---didn't know what your situation was---sounds like you have it under control---nice to see someone honest when selling

Foggerjet
    If it were me, which it's not, so take it for what it's worth. I'd flip that sucker over, pop the pan off and check the rod and mains. If that all looks good and no skirts are missing, I'd put a 10 qt. pan back on, button it up and swing it over the gunnel. Sounds like a fine day cruiser motor, IMO. It seems like those fireball cams are around 225-230 @ .050. If thats the case, should work good.
    fog

i kinda went that way but a little more. dropped the pan and timing chain cover. all looked good, chain a little loose so off came the valve covers and rocker arms got that far and said what the hell off came a head. pulled the cam called crane cams and found out what it was. heads look good. so now i have what was a running engine in pieces but at least i know all is fine. crane also said the cam will be a good jet cam. rpms are 2500-5500 rpms.
    pat(slotracer) :hammerhea