Thread: External Steering?

Ultrafied
    I was reading in other threads about switching to external steering, either a single ram or dual. I really didn't think that I needed external steering since my boat is not about power.
    As the thread continued, people were saying how they had to steer back and forth at low speeds while going through the channel at Havasu. The implication was made that this would not be a factor if external steering was installed.
    I had never thought about this. I just accepted that boat would wander back and forth a little and that was that. I also had thought you would have external steering more for control when in power (i.e. speed) applications.
    Could someone help explain if it is true, would external steering correct my low speed wandering (i.e. not be able to go straight without slight corrections) like when cruising through the channel? Also, if this is the case, what should I look at, single or dual ram and a ballpark cost figure for either.
    Thanks in advance!!

phebus
    If it is bow steer, no type of hydraulic steering will correct it, whether it be assisted or helm back. It is just a tendency that vee bottoms have. Changes in trim, and the weight balance of the boat will have an effect on bow steering, play with them, and see if you have different results. The biggest thing you can do, is unless evasive action is required, is make slow and gradual corrections and the boat will correct itself. Don't oversteer.

WopOnWater
    Ultrafied there is nothing wrong with your boat. It is a normal thing with vee hulls at low speeds. As Phebus said just dont over-steer to the right or left otherwise that is what the boat will do and you just fight it back and forth. Make nice steady corrections and you will be fine.

Ultrafied
    Wheeewww ... thanks guys. I thought it was just what you said until some of the other threads kind of described my boats tendency. Appreciate the helpful knowledge!!

bohica
    If you have trim tabs on your boat, put them both in the down position while cruising thru the channel. It will greatly improve any wander.

Ultrafied
    If you have trim tabs on your boat, put them both in the down position while cruising thru the channel. It will greatly improve any wander.
    Cool, I haven't tried that yet! I have the Dana LT500's so I will give it a whirl this weekend.