Thread: Backfiring with ignition off

mile2885
    Ok, after running the boat today trying to adjust the ride-plate, the boat started idling rough and would to backfire and clunk after the key was turned to the off postion. I did have one bacfire through the carb while on the lake too. We checked the timing a few days before and it seemed to be on. I did notice that the alternator belt was VERY loose at the end of the day. The engine is a 454 with a mild cam, mallory uni-lite distributor, holley 750cfm carb. Any Ideas????

victorfb
    sounds like you were "deiseling" the motor. probably ran pretty hot and had the timing a bit too advanced. be very carefull you dont suck up water and hydrolock the motor. meaning getting water into one or more of the chambers. water does not compress and will stop the motor from spinning. that may be some fo the clinking you heard. trying to get rid of the water in the cylinder and creating too much preasure. its even worse if the motor actually spins backwards. (yes it can happen)

Dana Marine Products
    Check your timing. You should confirm your timing marks, and set your total timing at no more than 34 degrees. Personally I'd set it at 32. Don't time it off initial unless you know exactly what spring and bushing kit you have in the distributor.

mile2885
    Think I found the problem, #1 cyl spark plug wire was shot. Hopefully thats all it was. :idea:

Thunderbutt
    Think I found the problem, #1 cyl spark plug wire was shot. Hopefully thats all it was. :idea:
    That would make it miss, not backfire, It's the timing. Tightin the dist nut