Thread: nozzle sizes (hole shot or speed)

Omega-Bitch II
    Okay so whats the deal,I thought the smaller the nozzle size the greater the velocity,therefore the faster top end,but I was told by one individual that NO small nozzle gives you a better hole shot but sacrifices top end speed. Whats the correct answer to the million dollar question??? Need to know as Ive already ordered the smaller one trying to pick up some top end speed.Im running a 3.25 and ordered the 3.0.

beached1
    God, I know I'm going to get beat up for saying such a bad word. But with PWC's, the larger nozzle sizes gives you more bottom end and acceleration. Smaller nozzle sizes incrases top speed but you lose some bottom end /acceleration. You might also want to take into account at what RPM's does your engine produce the most horsepower. A smaller nozzle should bring your RPM's down much like if you increased the pitch of your impeller. If it brings you down too far, you will be both slower on top and off the bottom. I don't know much about the big jets yet, but I'm sure this theroy is similar to PWC's. Hope it helps. Gerrit.
    PS. Yeah yeah yeah, I know PWC = People Without Cash, People Without Class, Parollee's Without a Conscience. Ok shoot me. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

rivercrazy
    Beached is right. Smaller nozzles give better top end and worse out of the hole performance. To use that 3" nozzle effectively, you will need major horsepower to overcome the restriction of the smaller nozzle. I run a 3.125" and its perfect for a 400hp 454 with an A impeller. I've taken the ring out and holeshot is better and it planes and cruises at a lower rpm but I do loose some top end.
    How long and heavy is your boat and what kind of HP are you running

Omega-Bitch II
    Omega is 21ft5in @ 2000lbs. 429 Ford 640 HP @5800rpm on dyno,currently running B impeller @ 5400-5600rpm, boat has 5/8 inch hook over 5ft, pulls 50-52 mph as is,looking for more speed, I know the power is there but until I do hull this winter Im not sure Ill get any more out of it. Any ideas as to how much one can expect to gain with a trued hull???

rivercrazy
    5/8" hook will definately slow you boat down and make it ride wet. Blueprinting will help but make sure you add full length stringers (first) in it if you don't have then now.
    Based on your HP, it would probably be useful to experiment with different nozzle sizes.
    If you pump is not blueprinted, that will definately add 3-5 mph if its an older Berkeley. MPD is highly regarded by many on this board. I had mine done by B&D Marine and they did a good job on mine. GS Marine is also well versed in pump blueprinting.

spectras only
    Omega ,you have too much of a hook.The more HP you give it the more it will bury the bow.You must remove the hook. A guy I know has a 22.5 omega here and it is a heavy boat.He changed from a jet to a 454/Bravo combo,and now he does well over 60.

mister460
    Has anybody ever made an adjustable under-way nozzle? Seems like it'd be pretty trick. If no one's tried it I think I'll hop on the lathe and vertical mill and see what I can come up with! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

rstover1
    It would be nice to be able to adjust the nozle while you were driving I bet it could be done fairly easy