Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If its not one thing its another....

Greaser
    Well, I "finally" got my interior back over the weekend. It turned out great. So, after I get it installed, my neighbor came over, and asked me if I would start it up. He never heard it run. So I obliged him. I told him I cant run it long, because of risk of damage to the pump. So I hook the water hose up, and start the thing. After I let it run for about 30 sec, I notice a lil bit of white smoke coming out of my one of my valve cover breathers. So I kill it quickly. After inspecting everything, I discover I have water in the oil. What do you guys think it could be???

oldbuck40
    are these the same heads you had on the other engine? and is this the first time you 've had the hose hooked up?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I vote for a head gasket. Did you have those new heads checked out or just bolt em on? either way take it back to that guy that put it together for you....and hurry. Canyon is only a couple weeks away :supp:
    Omega
    ....edit.... I would also check the intake manifold. If he used those rubber gaskets at the ends it is a good chance it could be that. It has been my experience they are too thick and can keep the intake from seating properly. If that is the case just use silicone next time.

Greaser
    are these the same heads you had on the other engine? and is this the first time you 've had the hose hooked up?
    No, these are some new heads, just put on this year. This is also the 2nd time its been fired up since the rebuild. The oil was fine after the first time it was started.
    Thanks for the advice Omega. I'll check into it.
    I talked to my mechanic that assembled everything, and he told me that it could be from condensation. He said that before we start disassembling anything we may want to change the oil and crank it up again.
    What do ya think???????

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    If there was enough to make 'steam' it was a bit more than condensation. what does the oil look like? is it milky? is the oil level over full? these are all important questions.
    Omega

Greaser
    Well, I drained the oil on my lunch break, and it was a lil milky. And the oil level was normal.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Well, I drained the oil on my lunch break, and it was a lil milky. And the oil level was normal.
    check that intake manifold gasket. he did install a gasket and not the turkey pan right? I would start with the intake since it has to come off anyhow. you will be able to see where it was leaking. there should be a stream of milky residue coming from the source. I went thru this before with my engine and the intake gasket was the culpret. a compression test should tell you if it is a head gasket. did it run alright other than the steam?
    Omega

Greaser
    Oh yea, it seems to run pretty good. That cam makes it sound a whole lot better. If I had to guess, I would think it would be the intake, because if it was a head gasket, it would run a lil rough, wouldnt it?

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    Oh yea, it seems to run pretty good. That cam makes it sound a whole lot better. If I had to guess, I would think it would be the intake, because if it was a head gasket, it would run a lil rough, wouldnt it?
    one way to find out......get to wrenching. If you get the intake off and don't see anything nothing lost cause next step is the heads. I would ask the builder if he installed an intake gasket or that piece of crap pan.
    Omega

Greaser
    It was a gasket. I was there when everything was being assembled.
    I also noticed while he was assembling everything he had a lil problem with the timing chain cover. Nothing major, just had a tough time finding bolts that were the right length. Even after we started it, we had a water leak coming out of the water pump block off at one of the bolts. We replaced the bolt with a shorter one, and the leak stopped.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast