Thread: Water Injection

gnarley
    Has anyone ever toyed with the idea of Water Injection to cool the mixture and reduce detonation? Seems like it could be possible and by doing so, one might be able add additional timing to the total.
    From what I know Once the spark plug lites the air/fuel mixture the steam vapor slows down the burn rate and reduces the risk of pre-detonation, and since the heat of the combustion has turned the water into high pressure steam this increases the overall cylinder pressure but cooled with less chance of detonation and reduce the chance of detonation? Seems like it could be possible and by doing so one might be able add additional timing to the total.
    I also found this.
    Spearco, the intercooler experts, offers a water injection system designed specifically for all turbocharged and supercharged vehicles.
    This system reduces air charge temps on turbocharged engines with or without intercoolers, and increases air density resulting in dyno proven additional horsepower and torque. On engines equipped with detonation sensor controlled ignition systems, it will maintain maximum spark advance even with low octane fuels producing power gains that you will feel!! The way it works is when under boost...the resevoir gets pressurized and assists the pump in water dispertion. It's very similiar to a rising rate fuel pressure regulator....the more boost you run,..the more protection you will have. Gains of 12% in HP and torque are not uncommon!!
    [This message has been edited by gnarley (edited May 31, 2002).]

spectras only
    Gnarly, you may want to try www.aquatune.com (http://www.aquatune.com) also

gnarley
    Spectras only, you have the idea, but I really want to know if anyone else with a blower or turbo has or is playing with water injection & what results they are having with it.

schiada96
    Gnarly a friend of mine uses a water injection set up on his twin turbo schiada he cruses the boards once and awhile. We give him alot of crap for putting water in his boat. 77schiada22 are you reading this??
    I think he likes it.

lakesmodified
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by gnarley:
    [B]Has anyone ever toyed with the idea of Water Injection to cool the mixture and reduce detonation? Seems like it could be possible and by doing so, one might be able add additional timing to the total.
    gnarley; my 1982 17FT Targa (in the jet boat readers rides) has a BDS 671 Blown 460 Ford, 7:1 JE pistons approx 20% over driven (according to the BDS chart)dual 48 IDF Weber carbs and runs on high octane pump gas (premium at the gas pump) with an edlebrock water injection system. Though I can't vouch just yet as for it's performance etc, the entire package was built by Paul Pfaff and BDS a few years ago. I'm in the process of freshing up the engine(hopefully will FINALLY get all my parts back from the machine shop this coming week)and as soon as I can get it into the water, I'll post the outcome. The man I bought the boat from, tells me that he never had any detonation problems with this set-up, and I tend to believe him. I dissasembled the engine with 135 hours, and there's no signs of detonation anywhere on the pistons. Will keep this board informed.. Ivan

Infomaniac
    If you choose to use one put a throttle switch to activate it. Also put 10% methanol in the water.

Unchained
    I used to run water inj. on my sand drag buggy and it worked well.
    I used a windshield washer pump with the hose shooting into the top of the carb through the air cleaner.
    I had it activated by a pressure switch in the manifold. It started injecting water at 5lbs.
    I had the turbo pumping 28 lbs. boost total.
    You need to put a small jet in the hose (about .040 ) to restrict the water flow. Too much water will decrease performance. I used 50% alcohol in the water tank.
    Mark

GEOO
    I looked into water injection for my boat. The only problem I found is most systems on the market are designed for cars. The high pressure water pumps are for 15-30 second intervals. They would work great for a small boat when you are only on the throttle for a short amount of time. GEOO