Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: vapor lock

bobz
    i have a 302 ford with a 600 holley after running aound the lake for 10 min or so it starts to miss really bad then dead in water for a while. vapor pours out of carb when you open it. the next day starts right up and does the same thing. any ideas?

mister460
    Block off the exhaust crossover, insulate fuel lines, and maybe a heat blocking/absorbing spacer under the carb.

stressedout
    What MISTER460 said & try a different BRAND of gas. Also check float levels.

spectras only
    Get a 1" or 2" phenolic spacer from a speedshop,it would lower the temp of the carb body.Also as MR460 said ,block off the crossover.You could also get a heatshield/intake gasket if you don't mind pulling the intake off.

bobz
    the engine is not hot when this happens the carb is very cool and the intake is still cool. also i live in FL (high humidity)

Bense468
    Why do guys snore at night?
    Because their balls cover their asshole which causes them to vapor lock.

75_Elim
    Bobz,
    I had the same trouble last year with my 454. What ended up fixing it was a new fuel pump. I tried checking everything including all that has been written above and also popping the gas tank cap when it sputters... Nothing worked. Then I put a fuel pressure gauge next to the carb then had my buddy hit it !!! Sure enough, the pressure dropped off to 1lb and the boat went dead. I put a new Carter (external) fuel pump in and it's been perfect since http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif Give this a try, and see what happens.
    Good Luck

spectras only
    Bobz, check if your tank has venting or your gas cap venthole is clear!Elim_75's idea is good,add a backup carter electric [I have].It's good to have ,so you can prime your carb at the dock after long storage.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited April 17, 2002).]

squirts
    Check your fuel pump and add a electric. Also check your fuel filters. If you have the brass filter in the Holly take it out and replace your filter. I choose not to run with the brass filter instead I run inline filters.

spectras only
    Besides that pesky bronze filter installed in new Holleys,there is also a filter on the bottom of many mechanical fuelpumps that collects water [water separator] that can wreak havoc .It's advisable to install a remote merc unit which has a much larger capacity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast