Thread: blower motor running w/out the blower

Essex29
    What are the disadvantages of running a motor built specifically for a blown application without a blower?
    Will it effect torque...top speed...reliability???

mondorally
    What are the disadvantages of running a motor built specifically for a blown application without a blower?
    I'm curious as well as I have a blower motor I've been considering changing to NA. I think it would all depend on the current setup:
    Compression ratio
    Cam
    Current max boost
    My problem is none of the above is known except boost......
    JH

cdog
    You'll need to change the cam. But the Hp and Tq will be a little low due to the lower compresstion assuming you did'nt go lower than 8.5.1. If you've go a engine in your boat now run what you have untill you can do the blower.
    Did you ever sell the 500 HP with the procharger? Is'nt that what came in the boat?

79 HUSTLER
    With my boat and set up it was a major dog. I first left the blower cam and comp the same, That did not work. Now I put in a new cam but still have the 7:1 pistons and its a dog, just not as bad as with the blower cam. Put it on the dyno and there was not much torq for a 540 and we had to put the timing up around 42deg because of the cam (trying to make up the difference for the comp being so low). If you have a lil higher comp it may not be as bad. My 2 cents and experience with my setup. KELLY

Liberator TJ1984
    From what I have seen Hustler is right..
    close friend had blower motor in his Southwind '19 , before he sold it they pulled the blower off and went N/A and it was a dog due to the 7.2: 1 comp.ratio ,he ended up pulling the motor and just selling the hull alone.
    ( but it was damn reliable )

Essex29
    With my boat and set up it was a major dog. I first left the blower cam and comp the same, That did not work. Now I put in a new cam but still have the 7:1 pistons and its a dog, just not as bad as with the blower cam. Put it on the dyno and there was not much torq for a 540 and we had to put the timing up around 42deg because of the cam (trying to make up the difference for the comp being so low). If you have a lil higher comp it may not be as bad. My 2 cents and experience with my setup. KELLY
    That's what I was looking for!
    Thanks for all of the help!!