Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo's & Mufflers??

mirvin
    What are you turbo guys gonna do for mufflers?? Is anyone working on them or are you just gonna take your chances?
    mirvin :boxed:

Norseman
    What are you turbo guys gonna do for mufflers?? Is anyone working on them or are you just gonna take your chances?
    mirvin :boxed:
    Turbo's make an engine pretty quiet. I think that most turbo boats pass the current noise regs with out mufflers.

mirvin
    Really??
    Would you say they are louder in front of the motor then exhausts that point back??

Jrocket
    Really??
    Would you say they are louder in front of the motor then exhausts that point back??
    Ya lost me on that one,but Im not going to run any mufflers until I absoluetly have to and then they will be gatlins.

mirvin
    Ya lost me on that one,but Im not going to run any mufflers until I absoluetly have to and then they will be gatlins.
    Yeah I was having difficulty expressing myself there
    :hammerhea
    What I mean is that sitting in the boat the motor seemed VERY loud compared to a motor with through hull exhaust. So I was thinking that the turbo exhaust being sort of turned up at the tip might accound for the loudness in front of the motor......There's a question in there somewhere.
    mirvin :shift:

Jrocket
    Ahhhh now I see what your talking about.Yes sitting in front of any motor that makes good power is going to be somewhat loud.Turbo motors that have short exhaust that is ran straight up into the air are usually run dry so it will be louder than normal through transom types.My boat will be through transom and water fed,all under the hatch.Should be quiet all through the rpm range.If not I have been thinking of a way to add more water through the tail pipes with a flip of a switch.Maybe run an extra line off the sea pump and have it dump more water out when needed,like dba testing.Then run it dryer when you dont need it.????? Its an idea.

mirvin
    Thanks Jrocket. Good info.
    mirvin :wink:

Jrocket
    Thanks Jrocket. Good info.
    mirvin :wink:
    As soon as my project is done,i'll get you some pics.

superdave013
    I'm going to run Burns mufflers that they have for dirt track cars. You can get them all different lenghts and diameters.
    Back when I had my boat together a few years ago I'd get hassled for no muffs here and there. It was not as load as a stock jet boat with bassets w/ muffs. But they could plainly see I didn't have any and that was that.

obnoxious001
    Dave,, if you use the right explanation, they usually can see that you have a set of special built rotary muffers. I originally put the turbos on my race Schiada after getting a noise ticket warming up my blown engine at Parker. No one gave me a problem about noise after that, but I did sell the boat a few years back, not sure what they are doing now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast