Thread: My Water Stinks... Help!!!

BadBahner
    I am new to needles and when the water sits in the water for a few weeks between visits it really stinks when I run the hot water. Is this something I can prevent? The water heater and pipes are all new. I even have a whole house filter on my main but still I get the funk...
    Is there a way to fix this besides draining the whole tank everythime I go there?
    Thanks,
    Eric

Jrocket
    I think its from the chemicals in the water that build up over time.Plus thats not the freshest water to start with.Just run the water for a few minutes when you first get there and it should be good for the time your there,I would imagine.Thats what we do at a friends place on Parker.

mickeyfinn
    There is a sacrificial cathode in your hot water heater to prevent the tank from corroding and rusting out. Typically they are magnesium I believe. That will give the odor you are describing sometimes when it combines with other minerals. Don't drain it before you leave though. Drain it as soon as you get their and wait on it to warm up. Leaving the tank empty will have a huge impact on its lifespan.

bohica
    Are you turning the water heater off when you leave. I used to and it would stink like rotten eggs the next time I went up. I leave the water heater on now and no more smell.

Mandelon
    If the filter takes out the chlorine then you can get organic growth. Is the water off color?

TheLurker
    I had the same problem. Drained the water every time I went out. Shut off the heat to the heater etc. The smell would return over time. Put in a new water heater, still had the smell. Tried a new water softener. It didn’t make any difference to the smell but the water is a lot nicer. Very hard water out there.
    I read the information that came with the water heater. It said if you have a sulfur smell in the hot water. and it specifically mentioned "Sulfur Smell"
    Mickeyfinn is correct, It said it was due to the anode and to replace it. Don’t remember which type it said to replace it with because I just removed it and put a plug where the anode went. Problem solved except I will probably be buying a new water heater sooner. Oh well it beats that stinky water.

Seadog
    If water sits too long, particularly after people filter it to take out the chlorine, bacteria will grow in the system. That is why the chlorine is added, to kill bacteria. The system needs to be flushed, a slug of bleach added to the HW tank and then filled. After it has set a few hours, flush again. If you are going to be gone more than a few days, turn the HW tank off and drain. You can also install a UV device in-line and put a circulating pump on, that that is a bit costly. Do not have any filter on the inlet water that will remove chlorine. If you have paranoia about chlorine, you can put a carbon filter on the tap, or just let the water sit in an open container in the refrigerator overnight. If you do install a carbon filter, be aware that they are breeding grounds for bacteria.

spectratoad
    My father had that problem in the "guest" side of his house. He took the water heater out and put in a tankless model. Problem solved.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    I had the same problem. Drained the water every time I went out. Shut off the heat to the heater etc. The smell would return over time. Put in a new water heater, still had the smell. Tried a new water softener. It didn’t make any difference to the smell but the water is a lot nicer. Very hard water out there.
    I read the information that came with the water heater. It said if you have a sulfur smell in the hot water. and it specifically mentioned "Sulfur Smell"
    Mickeyfinn is correct, It said it was due to the anode and to replace it. Don’t remember which type it said to replace it with because I just removed it and put a plug where the anode went. Problem solved except I will probably be buying a new water heater sooner. Oh well it beats that stinky water.
    I don't know know how long it will take as I have never seen anybody do this, but I belive you will be buying a heater sooner then later. The year rating on heaters has a lot to do with that rod. Depending on water conditions once the rod wears out the heater will soon after go. The reason for the rod is to keep the tank from failing due to electrolisis(sp).
    I have seen tanks last long after the warrenty because the rod was changed.
    I think the last thing anyone would want is to show up to the vacation house late friday to water running out the door. Keep an eye on the tank it could rot from the inside out. If you are worried about wasting money just turn the heater to the vacation setting when you leave.
    Sportin'wood under the mrs. user name.