Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need some help with this mopar

dave186
    i bought a 74 dodge van, mostly because it was cheap as hell and i need a rig to haul my friends around in since my truck is only a 2 seater.
    anyway, its been sitting for 2 years so after getting some fresh gas in it and a bit of tweaking on the carb and fixing the EGR and some vac leaks and stuff like that, its running pretty good. i still think the carb needs rebuilt cause its got a bad hesitation off idle. but thats not the part that bothers me, its a vibration. first i thought it was the u joints/ bent driveshaft or something like that. but its not, in fact the u joints are new and the drive shaft is not visibly bent. now, i was trying to figure this out and was reving the motor in neutral and it still vibrates. only things i can think of are maybe a torque converter bolt missing or something like that, its a pretty bad vibration. i guess i should add that its a 360 and an auto tranny, but i have no clue which one.
    PS, anybody got some shag carpet for sale?

Fiat48
    Start by disconnecting the fan belt so nothing turns but the crank. See if vibration still there. Look at the harmonic balancer for obvious replacement (could have been replaced with wrong one) or damaged.
    The hesitation just brought something to mind. Check the firing order and see if a plug wire is not right. That can cause vibration and the hesitation.

GofastRacer
    Looks like the previous owner had the same problem thus the reason for the new u-joints and it didn't solve the problem and it just sat after they gave up!..It is possible a converter bolt is missing but not likely, as Bob says check the front of the motor, take a compression check also see if you have a dead cylinder, if not give it a full tune up, after sitting that long it needs one!...

Fiat48
    Reason I say disconnect accessories....had a Buick I could not seem to find a vibration in. Found it one day while traveling through Fresno. Water pump let go and fan through the radiator....and the vibration was gone as I coasted to a stop. :idea:
    Yeah..sounds like previous owner was looking also.

dave186
    i dont think the previous owner had a clue. i got this van from the tire shop i work at. they had to repo it cause the guy had over $1300 worth of brake and alignment work done (including those u joints) and then never paid his bill. this was in 2002 and its been sitting in the back ever since. it had wire spoke wheels on it but we just sold those off of it.
    i will check into the accesories, i did notice that the clutch fan doesnt really spin much. also, what is the firing order for a 360? that would be awesome if thats all it was was a plug wire in the wrong spot.

Fiat48
    Clutch fan can do vibrations. 18436572.

Squeezing Spectra
    We have seen this before sounds like someone some where down the road might have put a 318 flexplate or ballancer on it possibly, which is internal ballanced unlike the external ballanced 360 and will cause a bad vibration just my 2 cents.
    Bruce

Floored
    you got it squeezin!! either the flexplate or balancer is wrong for that engine.

Moneypitt
    I had a simular problem with a chevy. A vibration going down the road, looked and looked, found out, as you have that it shook sitting still. Finally I unhooked the converter, and the shake went away. Changed it, wa la, problem solved. It seems that when a converter sits, all the loose crap in the fluid settles in the bottom, and throws it out of balance. Just a thought, if all else fails, un hook and push back the converter, and start it up, can't hurt....MP
    PS: aren't chry flexplates just a web that the converter bolts to??With the starter ring on the converter.....

Squeezing Spectra
    Another possibility is that early mopar 360`s used a counterweighted torque converter. Bruce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast