Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 496 Mag Shmag

desertbird
    Allright folks, there's a ton of discussion about upgrading the MAG HO. What about those of us that foolishly got the MAG only and now want the extra 50 horsies?
    1) Is it anything more than a camshaft, a computer and a sticker on the cowel cover that will get it there? I wonder what the cost of doing that with Mercruiser parts would be compared to a Raylar or ASM kit.......
    2) Regarding supercharging, I've done some research with Whipple, and the only figures they have are for the HO. Impressive. 650 HP and 636 lb-ft. with 5 lbs boost. Since Whipple re-programs the ECU, the only difference then is the cam? If all things were equal, the MAG would be 50 HP short?

jbtrailerjim
    I wouldn't say your foolish for buying only the Mag and not the Mag HO. I'd say you got an extra $3k or $4k in your pocket. I bought the Mag only also. Ultra actually recomended me not to spend the extra money on the HO since I would only see a few more mph out of my boat.

Beer-30
    I'm sure you've see the 496 HO UPGRADES which started out small and has now grown into a very informative thread. All of the same things can be applied to the MAG.
    The only way you are gonna equal an HO is to tear into the motor. If you are like me, and not ready to do that, your options are limited to what is in that thread. Exhaust, maybe some fuel tweaking, and flame arrester (which is probably not a power increase itself, but cleaner air just the same). I just brought up an issue about roller rockers that may be another 20 or so horses, + or -.
    I for one don't plan on going further than changing upper valvetrain, until a raylar kit is going in. Since that's a few years down the road, I will continue to tweak the stock setup with reliablity in mind.

desertbird
    Yeah, not foolish, thrifty. The funny part is once we saved the coin, now we'll spend that much and more on aftermarket bling-bling B.S. All for minimal gains!
    I've already bought the K&N, everything I own has a K&N filter. Once I found out about the stupid exhaust Turdulators, I ordered new gaskets, and those are coming out! When I have the risers off I will take a look and see how well the ports are lined up and if there is any gasket intrusion, but after that I'm not doing anything else! If I go, it'll go big and I'll Supercharge it. For now I'm a guy that still likes reliability more than a few more MPH. I must be getting old!

Chris Winn
    if i would have thought in advance (i seldom do :hammerhea ) i would have bought the regular mag and had the raylar kit placed on it witht he saving (at least part of them)
    one idea might be to find someone who has installed the lit and buy thier cam and have whipple do a re-flash if that will work, i am not completly sure just thinking out loud............

Dave C
    Isn't it Raylar's whole "angle" to get the MAG and keep the $4-5k that you would have paid retail for the HO and buy his kit and get 100 more horsies!.
    thats a pretty good angle.

jbtrailerjim
    The only thing I would do to my engine would be the Raylar kit and that is only if I have the dough to do it. The problem I have is if I add the extra horsepower to it. Then I'll need external steering and then probably a set of trim tabs. Oh and I can't forget about the new prop. Damn, where does it end?!?! :squiggle:

Chromegorilla
    Internals and horsepower aside the other MAJOR difference bewtween the regular 496 and the HO is the HO comes with an upgraded drive as well. the bravo X is standard as with the reg Mag you only get a Bravo 1. You'll be spending the $$ you saved buying the regular Mag vice the HO when adding raylar, whipple sc or procharger in the form of upgrading your drive. Or just use the B1 and when it shits its self (maybe not today or tommorrow , but it will) you'll definately be spending some loot then. Just another point of view....

Beer-30
    Mine was before the X came out. I only have a B-1 behind the HO. Numerous people on the board here say it will last quite a while if respected.

Chromegorilla
    Your right, it will last when respected. But you know how most guys are, they want to run hard. And that one time you idling along and someone wants to run and you get on it good, it shits its self.
    Also if you have a heavy boat vs a lighter boat the drive issue is more applicable I feel. A single 23' boat with a single engine with a B1 getting on plane is alot easier on the drive than a 35' boat with twins and B1's. 4K lbs vs 10k lbs. OK I'll stop rambling.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast