Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Something for all you 496 Ho Bags to ponder.

KACHINA KEN
    Lots of talk on this subject but one point that is eluding a bunch of you is that your used 496HO is worth between 7-11 K depending on the condition and hours. Compound this the 8-10 K of a kit and installation and you now have alot of coin tied up in this lil shitbox. I call them shitboxes because I know this motor intimately, I've owned 3 of them and now with my new 34' Kachina I own 2 more. If I dont like them why did I buy them you may ask? Short answer is I didnt want to finance 25 K more on my boat.
    For 21K you can get a Larry Peto 580 that produces 675 HP and around 700 lBS of torque, it is ridiculous the amount of power this thing kicks out. http://www.larrysengine.com/engine_580TKM.htm.
    I just wanted to put it out there for ya, not to piss on your tuner parade or anything, but we all know once you go into a motor there are MANY return trips, am I lying???
    Love
    Kenny

dirty old man
    heard from a Merc dealer here at Lake Mead (LV) that if you put mufflers on you may have warrantee problems. ???

Beer-30
    Another good point.
    However, the other discussion also deals with hours of use. I am sure a Peto motor, like GT or Teague is going to go, let's say 500 hours tops? My guess would be 1000-1200 for a Raylar-topped stock bottomed HO, and say 2000 hours for stock HO. The 2000 comes from a Teague on Tech article, in case you were going to ask.
    Now, for those of us that don't necessarily want to be the first one to the dock; a tweaked HO is fine. We will also be around to pull someone in when a valve seat comes loose or a motor leans out at 12lbs of boost and turnes the cylinders into metal foundarys. And, we'll be happy to help.

dicudmore
    Another good point.
    However, the other discussion also deals with hours of use. I am sure a Peto motor, like GT or Teague is going to go, let's say 500 hours tops? My guess would be 1000-1200 for a Raylar-topped stock bottomed HO, and say 2000 hours for stock HO. The 2000 comes from a Teague on Tech article, in case you were going to ask.
    Now, for those of us that don't necessarily want to be the first one to the dock; a tweaked HO is fine. We will also be around to pull someone in when a valve seat comes loose or a motor leans out at 12lbs of boost and turnes the cylinders into metal foundarys. And, we'll be happy to help.
    I would think on the average the HO would go a bunch of hours....
    HOWEVER I can totally see Ken's point on the HO as his experience with the motor has been negative to put it politely. I'm pretty sure he broke 2 of them last year, within 100 hours of use... :yuk:

INSman
    Lots of talk on this subject but one point that is eluding a bunch of you is that your used 496HO is worth between 7-11 K depending on the condition and hours. Compound this the 8-10 K of a kit and installation and you now have alot of coin tied up in this lil shitbox. I call them shitboxes because I know this motor intimately, I've owned 3 of them and now with my new 34' Kachina I own 2 more. If I dont like them why did I buy them you may ask? Short answer is I didnt want to finance 25 K more on my boat.
    For 21K you can get a Larry Peto 580 that produces 675 HP and around 700 lBS of torque, it is ridiculous the amount of power this thing kicks out. http://www.larrysengine.com/engine_580TKM.htm.
    I just wanted to put it out there for ya, not to piss on your tuner parade or anything, but we all know once you go into a motor there are MANY return trips, am I lying???
    Love
    Kenny
    Kenny
    You certainly make some valid points, but some of these decisions are tougher to make since you may have drive issues above 600Hp/600 Lbs torque, and if you went with an aftermarket drive right out of the chute with an aftermarket motor, you lose some potential package pricing advantages from the builder and Merc. Financing the package is usually a concerns as well.
    For me, I just did not want to pony up the money for the 525, with 500HP at propshaft, when I was able to get a 496 MAG, with the new 2005 XR drive and then add the Raylar kit (not sure if I will go 540Hp or 600HP) all for a total package price that made sense to me personally. That may not work for everyone, but I chose this route for very particular reasons that I am not at liberty to disclose on a public forum. I just hope not to regret my decisions and don't think that I will, but only time will tell.

shadow
    Another good point.
    Good point Beer-30.Not to mention my 496 has been bullet proof up till this point.Trust me it gets used and abused more than most.

dicudmore
    Good point Beer-30.Not to mention my 496 has been bullet proof up till this point.Trust me it gets used and abused more than most.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say abused.....ok I would
    It just knows two throttle positions. Idle and WOT :wink:

Dave C
    Yes Ken has a point for us speed junkies who can wrench (or those that can't with a large bankrolls who aren't afraid to use them )
    I am ready willing and able to throw my 496 away. Just talk to Paul Pfaff or GT marine for details
    HINT 572 EFI
    For those of us who want to keep it simple, stay with the 496.

superdave013
    I hope you guys have better luck then I did. My 8.1L (496) didn't last one month in my wife's burban.
    I'll stick with my Merlin based engine for the boat.

KACHINA KEN
    Another good point.
    Negative, I dont have hard numbers but it is a large displacement purpose built motor with internals far superior to what Merc is throwing into the 496 HO. What you gotta understand about these motors is they are not race grade by ANY means, their displacement and setup gives them a decent amount of HP but they are what we call in my industry "PRO-SUMER" it means top of the line in a consumer grade model. A little known fact is that these motors are not made in the same factory as the 'blue" motors, they are made in Stillwater OK with all the whackers and smaller motors. I'm not stirrin the pot here, i just dont want you guys wasting your coin on any project that doesn't really deserve it. If you start out with a purpose built motor i think you guys will be alot happier with it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast