Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any info on 78 Taylor tunnel hull jet boats?

wsm9808
    I recently became the owner of a 78 Taylor 20ft tunnel hull jet boat. Anyone know any history on these boats ? I did a search in the photo gallery and came up with one picture Cookieman posted of the same boat that I have, and the photo was titled "Taylor experimental Tunnel"
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...AGE057-med.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...AGE055-med.JPG
    thanks, Scott

gregr1971
    i have a 1978 sleekcraft aristrocat ,looks like they come out of the same mold,i am very pleased with mine,not all that fast ,even with a 514 ford,droop and all,handles real great.if you want to sell it,i live near houston,would love to have it.

Duane HTP
    I sold Taylor boats all the time they were in business. In fact, all THREE times they were in business. I never knew of them to build a tunnel except that they borrowed the molds from Condor once and built a couple of those lightining hulls. I bought and sold both of those. They were not anything like what you have there. What are the Hull Indification Numbers on the boat you have?
    Duane HTP

gregr1971
    Duane,could i be right about that looking like it come from a sleekcraft mold?
    p.s.---looking for a site or pics of 70's era sleeks..........

Jake W2
    Duane like you said you sold them BUT that is the third one I have seen.and they all say they are Taylors.
    A white one in hot boat awhile back I will get the date page number later.This one is bad ass with a twin turbo motor in it.(it was originaly brown metal flake)
    The yellow one that cookieman posted a pic of.
    And now this orange one.
    Now to me the white one in ***boat and this orange one look the same but the yellow one looks to have a taller deck on it but same shape.
    Jake

Duane HTP
    If you could come up with any of the serial numbers, we could tell real quick.

Jake W2
    The white Taylor tunnel is in the July 1999 issue on page 47 .It says its a 1979.
    Like Duane said post the first 3 letters of the hin(or all of it) located on the back of the hull so we can find out where the boat is from.
    Jake

Taylor LP
    Here are a couple similar boats:
    http://p208.ezboard.com/fthetaylorbo...ssage?topicID= 39.topic
    http://p208.ezboard.com/fthetaylorbo...ssage?topicID= 46.topic
    Definately not made by Oscar Taylor.

wsm9808
    Thanks for the replies.
    The number on thr rear of the hull is...DRT 20033047 STIB, I'm not real sure on the last two letters(I and B), there is a chip on them and hard to make out.
    I do not have the title in hand yet, it changed hands a couple of times and no one registered it. But I,ve located the titled owner and he is working on getting the "lost title" paper work done with the state so I can get offical ownership.
    I have seen, in person, the Yellow and brown boat that is in the photo in one of the above posts links. I have been to Jet Fest and it was there. There was some mention about how rare that boat is. I thought this boat I have might be rare or have some history, so I saved it from a guy that was about to scrap it. I'd hate to see some cool or historical old jet boat get lost forever.

Duane HTP
    Thanks for the ID numbers. Now I understand. There is more than one Taylor Boat Company. Your Taylor boat, (DRT), was made by a company in Pomona, CA. The Taylor boats, (TYR, TAY, BTF), that Jake and I are familar with were made in Cushing or Drumright Oklahoma. They were producing 18" and 20" V-Bottom boats by the hundreds. This is the company I was talking about. They only made the two tunnel boats that I refered to earlier in this thread. There are just hundreds of those old boats here in the Mid-West. I don't know a thing about the ones produced in CA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast