Thread: Extreme trailer, disk brake question

Robbie Racer
    I posted this over on the Sandbar but didn't get any responses. My guess is that several of you C&T guys are also running an Extreme trailer. Have any of you run into this problem yet?
    I have a 3 year old tandem axle trailer from Extreme (with leaf springs as opposed to torsion bars) and with four wheel disk brakes. I have noticed that there seems to be ongoing "clanking" noises when hitting any kind of bump or rough payment for quite some time so I took it to a local trailer repair place. They say that they have never seen that type of disk brake design before where the calipers seem to be held on with only one bolt. They normally see two bolts holding the calipers on. It looks like the calipers are loose and are clanging around when I hit bumps. One of the brake pads was even worn at an angle. The local guy talked to Extreme and was faxed a drawing but it doesn't look like there are any replaceable bushings or other parts except for the calipers. He thinks the only thing to do is replace the calipers but that it will happen again with this single bolt mounting design. Does anyone have any experience with this type of design?

Bre
    If you don't get the info you need. Brian/EVO22 owns a trailer company is Saugus. He can help you out ... and at least tell you what he can.

Havasu Hangin'
    I used to have those brakes on my old Extreme trailer. It seemed like a kinda twitchy design, they were full floating, and had no uneven pad wear.

Evo22
    yea it is a UFP disc brake it is a bad design the best thing to do is toss it and buy either kodiak or tie down disc brakes there parts are basically chevy replacements u can buy pads from any auto parts store let me know if i can help ya

Bre
    Hi
    Surprised you got some internet time

Evo22
    lol I know I was up here looking for a part on the bronco
    :hammerhea

Bre
    Get back to work :lightsabe
    What time are you gonna be done at today?? Oh and call Greg please :mix:

ELVIS
    I have noticed that there seems to be ongoing "clanking" noises when hitting any kind of bump or rough payment for quite some time so I took it to a local trailer repair place. They say that they have never seen that type of disk brake design before where the calipers seem to be held on with only one bolt. They normally see two bolts holding the calipers on. It looks like the calipers are loose and are clanging around when I hit bumps.
    try riding the brakes while going over bumps that would normally make noise. if the noise goes away it's probablly in the brakes if not it could be elseware.

Robbie Racer
    Thank you for all the replies and suggestions. That's great information.
    RR