Thread: Old Man Winter

Kevin Crane
    With the wind switching around to the north what is the best way to winterise your motor ? One good thing about winter time is get to make them change's on your boat as Tim Allen would say MORE POWER .

rstover1
    ugg! I hate winter. Here is what I do open the drains at the back of the block get about 3 to 4 feet of hose attached to housing with funnel on one end pour in antifreeze until it comes out the drain holes then close the drain holes and top it off!! I also keep my boat in a garage out of the wind..

fryzll
    rstover1, dont you also have to shut valve at the pump, otherwise it would drain right back out of the pump I would think. Isnt there someone we can talk to who can take away winter and make it stay light out until 9:00 pm all year long, just a thought http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Chris

rstover1
    Originally posted by fryzll:
    rstover1, dont you also have to shut valve at the pump, otherwise it would drain right back out of the pump I would think. Isnt there someone we can talk to who can take away winter and make it stay light out until 9:00 pm all year long, just a thought http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    ChrisSorry I guess I did'nt clairify that to well I remove the line from pump to housing using the point were water comes in from pump to put antifreeze into block........

Hallett of a Dream
    Personally, I disconnect a line from the thermostat housing and run the green down there.

fryzll
    That is what I was thinking too. Pop the hose off and pour it down the housing. what threw me off was that it sounds to me like the plumbing on rstover's boat is reversed. Mine goes from the pump to exaust manifolds, manifolds to water pump plate, T-stat housing to the snails and out the exaust. With the way mines plumbed you can pour the A/F in through the T-stat housing and once it runs out the pump intake on the bottom of the boat you just shut the valve from the pump off. I think im making a big production out of this simple task, sorry http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Chris
    P.S. by reversed I didnt mean wrong, just opposite of mine.

rstover1
    Originally posted by fryzll:
    That is what I was thinking too. Pop the hose off and pour it down the housing. what threw me off was that it sounds to me like the plumbing on rstover's boat is reversed. Mine goes from the pump to exaust manifolds, manifolds to water pump plate, T-stat housing to the snails and out the exaust. With the way mines plumbed you can pour the A/F in through the T-stat housing and once it runs out the pump intake on the bottom of the boat you just shut the valve from the pump off. I think im making a big production out of this simple task, sorry http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Chris
    P.S. by reversed I didnt mean wrong, just opposite of mine.Mine is opposite of yours pump to housing wp outlets to valve to headers I thought this was strange too but on a car don't the water come in from the radidator at the thermostat housing..

fryzll
    rstover1, nope, the waterpump pushes water through the block from the bottom up to the T-stat, thats why the brass bulb on it faces into the manifold. That is where it picks up the water temp and open up at the correct time. If you look into a radiator with top and bottom tanks you will see the water flowing away from the upper hose when the T-stat opens up. I dont think it makes a difference which way it flows in your boat because I have seen alot of boats setup just like yours with headers. With a setup like mine, the log style manifolds act as water pre-heater for the engine, thats why the water goes through them first and then to the block. This info might not be totaly correct, but it sounds good to me. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    Chris

77Spectra
    After you have done the antifreez thing, drain your carb. Water likes to collect in the bowls. This also lets the floats hang and you are less likely to have a sticking problem the next spring. I also drain my water seperators and tanks. Some say fill them. I think that no gas at all equals no worry.
    Goto your local bass shop and get some fogging oil. Pull your plugs and give a nice squirt. Turn motor by hand, give another squirt then reinstall plugs.
    Winter is also a good time to check for water under your floor. If you do not have access, drill a hole under your rear seat. If you find water, syphon it out. I would purchase an Aquarium pump and let it pump air under your floor all winter. Find and repair the leak over the winter.
    Run grease thru your bowl fittings. I bet you will find a little water there. Outboard guys need to drain and refill thier lower unit.
    If all this seems like alot of work, haul your boat to Dallas and I will do it.....

Hallett of a Dream
    Well, I am going to have to rewinterize the boat again tomorrow. I am going to hook it up right now and go for a ride. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif One thing i am going to do is drain the block and pour the antifreeze in while on the triler so that the ride home will help in circulating the mix just in case there is water left in the bottom of the block. I did a test here at home and AF is heavier than water and will sink, but unless you have agitation or if the af is poured slowly into the block, it will not mix completely, creating pockets of fresh water near the top of the water line inside the block. Just one more step to help the block stay in one piece.