Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Name vs Humble Shop Custom Boats

MightyMike
    I will probably get tarred and feathered for this... :hammer2:
    Q. I want to know what's the difference between a Big Name (Eliminator, Essex, Cobra etc) vs the Humble custom boat builders? By humble boat builders, I mean those who are known to have come from the big guys and branched out on their own.
    Here's how this came up you may ask? Here goes
    First timer shopping around for a custom boat. I started asking all the questions about which boat is best, how are they made, what materials are used, carpet and interior grades, what are the standard options, different trailers etc.
    I am not looking for anything with a blower, souped up engine, and I don't need a 50 color gelcoat. I just want to nice clean performance boat with a nicely powered stock engine (350 mag, 6.2, 496 etc are all available stock from Merc) that performs well.
    [U]These are the items I noted which makes up a boat and how I categorized my boat searching.
    A. Engine: I am looking at a Merc 350 Mag MPI Bravo One.
    The big guys said these come right from Merc, right off the crate and straight into the boat. I was told, if there's any problems with the engine, it's not the rigger, but an issue with the engine itself. Both offered the Extended warranty, which is actually sold direct from merc. So in this category, how do you get more bang for you buck from the big guys?
    B. Hull Design: The boat I am looking at is a 23' boat, which I have determined came from an original Eliminator Mold.
    If the hull was designed by Eliminator and good enough for Eliminator to sell, I would think it is a solid hull. Maybe there can be an issue with the construction and materials used?
    C. Accessories, Bezels: I've gone to the big guys and taken pictures of the bezels, gages, cleats (popup and regular).
    The big guys seem to get their parts from the usual places, like Eddie Marine, Dana Marine, etc. If the humble guy and the big guy both get their parts from the same place, am I simply paying a premium for the big name guy to install the parts?
    D. Paint, Gelcoat: The humble guy got me a color chart, which was actually a brochure from ValSpar Gelcoats.
    I went to the Valspar Gelcoat website and found that their clients include Eliminator and a few other big names. So, both the humble and big guy seem to use the same materials? Good materials are good materials right?
    E. Through Bolted Construction and other items: The big guys were quick to point out that they use things like thru-bolt construction.
    The humble guys offer the same thing. I couldn't find a difference between the big and humble guy in this departmen.
    F. Interior: I have read in some ***boat and powerboat mags, that stratton marine did their interiors (Eliminator, Cobra).
    This particular humble builder uses Stratton as well. Tripple stictched, with pipes and high grade foam as well. So what's the difference here?
    G. Accessories, Bezels: I've gone to the big guys and taken pictures of the bezels, gages, cleats (popup and regular).
    The big guys seem to get their parts from the usual places, like Eddie Marine, Dana Marine, etc. I went to all the big guys websites like Eliminator, Cobra, Essex, Lightning, Howard, Hallet etc etc and they all basically has the same options, except some were standard and some were extra's. I'm talking about things like Electric hatch, popup cleats, SS Parts, Anodized metals, dual batteries, battery switch, switch panels, shifters, grab handles, bimini tops, interior lighting etc, etc. If the humble guy and the big guy both get their parts from the same place, am I simply paying a premium for the big name guy to install the parts?
    Conclusion Question: It seems to me the only things is the way this boat is put together, which makes me wonder, if I got a humble builder who's worked for places like Ultra, Cobra for 15+ years, the boat should be the same? Whay pay the extra $10-15k markup? What more do you get for the extra $10-15k, besides a Big Name?
    After all this research, I started to ask myself... is it worth it to go with a Big Name vs the Humble builder? The humble guys boat is between $10-$15k cheaper and seems to be comparable to the Big Name boat.

Roman 1
    23ft and a 350 outdrive...good choice grandpa :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
    Happy hunting
    R1 :notam:

MightyMike
    Don't mean to get hot here, but I'm looking for some real feedback, Grandpa! I looked over the types of responses you give on all your posts and it all makes sense.
    Maybe you missed the point...I'm asking a question here. As I stated previously, I am not looking to be going 90 mph and I'm not entering a speed races. The speed tests on this site show similar setups doing mph's in the low 60's with the same setup. The builder offers everything up to a 496HO, but that's a little steep for my needs.

Prime 8780
    Well, as for your main question, the boat manufactures are primarily in the buisness to sell boats. Many of these builders manufacture a good quailty product but are very interested in making a sale. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However there are many options that customers might not be aware of when buying a boat or having a boat built for them. That is where a custom rigging shop comes in to play. We here at Prime Marine focus our attention on what the customer would like on his or her boat. There are thousands of items available for use on many boats and we try and make the customer aware of numerous options. Having a boat built is a different process than buying a product from a big name builder. The big name place will give you a fair list of options from engine/propulsion packages, to rigging options, to upholstery and gel coat options. At a custom shop those items are endless. For example if you want the most elaborate engine and drive package, we can make that happen. If you would like every nut and bolt that you can see polished, it will be done. If you want to see nothing but fully integrated billet aluminum hardware with exotic powdercoat, anodized colors, and fully polished items that would be normal. Let's say you wanted to have the upholstery designed to your specifications with your name on the seat or some logo on the headrest with carpet to match, that can happen. I guess what I am trying to say is that custom shop like ours builds a boat like a piece of art that you are proud to say you own. Every one loves the fact that their boat is a little bit or a lot different than everyone else. It is also a good feeling when yours stands out in a group of hundred other boats. I suppose that is what you get a custom boat shop.
    There are also other builders that we would say build very nice products but are not really interested in building you a "one-off" item, but that's a entirely different story. Maybe well go over that next time.
    Hope this helps. Remember it is your boat and you are the one that has to like it.
    Mike @ Prime Marine
    www.primemarineusa.com

It doesn't get any better than Prime Marine. I could stand in that shop and stare all day at all the cool things they build. SANO!!!!

BILLY.B
    Well, as for your main question, the boat manufactures are primarily in the buisness to sell boats. Many of these builders manufacture a good quailty product but are very interested in making a sale. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However there are many options that customers might not be aware of when buying a boat or having a boat built for them. That is where a custom rigging shop comes in to play. We here at Prime Marine focus our attention on what the customer would like on his or her boat. There are thousands of items available for use on many boats and we try and make the customer aware of numerous options. Having a boat built is a different process than buying a product from a big name builder. The big name place will give you a fair list of options from engine/propulsion packages, to rigging options, to upholstery and gel coat options. At a custom shop those items are endless. For example if you want the most elaborate engine and drive package, we can make that happen. If you would like every nut and bolt that you can see polished, it will be done. If you want to see nothing but fully integrated billet aluminum hardware with exotic powdercoat, anodized colors, and fully polished items that would be normal. Let's say you wanted to have the upholstery designed to your specifications with your name on the seat or some logo on the headrest with carpet to match, that can happen. I guess what I am trying to say is that custom shop like ours builds a boat like a piece of art that you are proud to say you own. Every one loves the fact that their boat is a little bit or a lot different than everyone else. It is also a good feeling when yours stands out in a group of hundred other boats. I suppose that is what you get a custom boat shop.
    There are also other builders that we would say build very nice products but are not really interested in building you a "one-off" item, but that's a entirely different story. Maybe well go over that next time.
    Hope this helps. Remember it is your boat and you are the one that has to like it.
    Mike @ Prime Marine
    www.primemarineusa.comWhat I think Mike is saying is, if your gonna spend the BUCK$, which now-a-days is heavy, I think you'd spend just alittle more to be different. I'd hate to spend big dollars and then be on the launch ramp right next to the same boat that I have. Prime Marine does off the chart one off stuff that sets you apart from the rest of the crowd and enables you to have your own idenity when it comes to a custom / family style boat.

Thunderbutt
    Mike you buy what you want, and I'll agree with you on people are paying for the name, and it cost money and I don't think Roman's boat is anyway near 70 let alone 90. Just sign me Grandpa-2.

riverbound
    I know one of the problems of buying a "hubmle" boat is that when it comes time to sell, the resale of a Eliminitor etc.. is much higher than another not as recognized name.
    But in the end if the boat gives you what you want then ultimately it is your money so do what makes you happy. As a word of advice a 350 in that size boat is much too small and when it comes time to sell....Good luck. I would recommend going with a more powerful motor combo. You will be much happier. The 350 will get you to 60, but how long will it take, what kind of stress are you putting on that little motor to do that? The more you work the engine/drive the more you are opening yourself up to damage. If you cant afford the right motor combo than you woudl be better off buying a smaller boat that is powered propperly.

EXTREMEBOATS
    One other thing to consider when looking at the humble boat builder as far is resale is not just the name attached but whether or not the humble builder has Coast Guard Manufactering Identification Code. This allows that boat to be titled. Some Humble builders do not have this and resale and title issues can be affected. Not a big deal but one worth considering. Kristina

Kim Hanson
    23ft and a 350 outdrive...good choice grandpa :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
    Happy hunting
    R1 :notam:
    He wants to be slow like you, so lighten up on him.............( . )( . ).........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast