Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Somebody needs to do a "Revenge Rescue"

When I brought my deal home I still had not decided if I was going to use the hull or not. Essentialy I bought it for the motor, hardware & trailer.
    After some research I found out the boat had some pretty cool history, & Jim Anderson (126driver) had nothing but good things to say about it. At that point I decided to restore the hull.
    I thought around 3K would cover the hull. Well all said & done I was right around 6K before paint. The labor was at least 3 times what I thougt it would be. Ended up right around 500 hours. Now I did all the inside work myself, with the help of my buddy Paul & the best mixer & clean up man around, Cole Man.
    The outside glass work, Paul pretty much took care of. The outside was in pretty bad shape. I needed a pro to get her right. That & spraying the paint was the only thing I paid labor on.
    Would I do it again, probably not. I am hoping to be able to build another boat some day, but It will start with a new hull. And I will fab. all the hardware.
    But I could not be happier with the results.
    As she sits right now I am into her for around 23K. This is initial boat, motor & trailer costs plus materials & parts. It took me pretty much 3 years to get her running (they are never done).
    As Wayne pointed out "Restoring is half the fun"
    Fiberglass work sucks, Fabbing new parts & putting the whole deal back together was awsome. And I could not put into words the pride I have in her. Especially on the water when she whoop's ass on all my friends.

Sangster
    Especially on the water when she whoop's ass on all my friends.
    Hey Morg...Now that we don't have Flyte Risk to "Kick Around" anymore.. See Ya NYD..

BILLY.B
    Dave --If someone gave you this boat, considering fiberglass only-what would be your best guess, cost wise, to bring this boat up to snuff. I'm curious as to the reality of restoring these old boats for the sake of it or restoring them thinking serious horsepower and letin it have it. Thanks ....Steve Steve you've been around long enough to know that this is a loaded question. I get asked this all the time. For example doing the floor of a boat (flatbottom) $$$$$ dependes on how jacked up it is before you start. I'd say from what i've seen and you too, Tom Buckles floors are over the top (Pats Fiberglass). But to get to that point you're goona spend some serious $$$$ ($3000.00 - $4500.00) Now these floors look like your dinning room table when Don gets done colorsanding and rubbing them and hrs wise (it's a ton) Don has anywhere from 40 to 80hrs in them at $85.00 per hr plus materials so you can figure it out from there. My guess to get this floor into shape (average look) you'd spend around $2500.00. And on another note from what i've seen even the new boats need alot of attention in the floor area but not as much so your cost might be around $750.00 to $1500.00 to do the inside depending on who you go to.
    2. Hull also dependes on the condition and how wild you go. Lets say the average deal to prep is somewhere around $2500.00 plus your paint job. You've been by the shop enough to know that a paint job, money wise, is all over the board and can't be estimated because there are way to many variables and no matter whether it's a new hull or an old one i'm sure you'd do some type of paint job. Buying new would eliminate the prep cost of the figure above.
    3. You can buy a whole installation kit for a Biesemeyer / Revenge/ Canary/ D'Cucci/ Advantage/ Spitfire/, from Bergeron Marine. Now they have everything you need in this kit and though i'm not sure exactly how much i'd guess it's around $10,000 to $12,000. Now you have to have someone rig it. Now with this installation package it doesn't come with any mill work or over the top custom made parts so you'll have to have someone do that for you if you so desire and that drives the cost up again. Cost of an install of your kit is probably around $5000.00. Remember with a new hull you have to do everything including prop shaft hole / blueprint bottom/ install fins etc etc...
    4. Almost forgot the most important deal, the hull. If you choose to buy a new deal (circle) your goona spend around $8000.00 to $10.000.
    5. This makes Morg's deal look like a steal. The only thing Morg isn't doing is putting a price on his "FUN"(LABOR). If he did, and lets say for kicks he said $50.00 per hr, what would the cost of his deal be. I know you can't put a price on a good time (fun) but with the bar being raised every year with the boats I see (v-drives) at these "VACATIONS", it's obvious the price varies on each individual and what he deams to be bitchen. With that said...Steve you need to buy this Revenge, dig deep in to those 501's and have youself a hell of alot of "FUN"!!!! :rollside:

dmontzsta
    Damn, good post Billy.

v-drive
    Where is pat's fiberglass?

GofastRacer
    I think this is it!..
    Pat's Fiberglass & Gelcoat Repair
    1531 West 13th Street Suite B,
    Upland, CA 91786
    (909) 946-3089

v-drive
    Thankyou very much....v-drive

Steve you've been around long enough to know that this is a loaded question. I get asked this all the time. For example doing the floor of a boat (flatbottom) $$$$$ dependes on how jacked up it is before you start. I'd say from what i've seen and you too, Tom Buckles floors are over the top (Pats Fiberglass). But to get to that point you're goona spend some serious $$$$ ($3000.00 - $4500.00) Now these floors look like your dinning room table when Don gets done colorsanding and rubbing them and hrs wise (it's a ton) Don has anywhere from 40 to 80hrs in them at $85.00 per hr plus materials so you can figure it out from there. My guess to get this floor into shape (average look) you'd spend around $2500.00. And on another note from what i've seen even the new boats need alot of attention in the floor area but not as much so your cost might be around $750.00 to $1500.00 to do the inside depending on who you go to.
    2. Hull also dependes on the condition and how wild you go. Lets say the average deal to prep is somewhere around $2500.00 plus your paint job. You've been by the shop enough to know that a paint job, money wise, is all over the board and can't be estimated because there are way to many variables and no matter whether it's a new hull or an old one i'm sure you'd do some type of paint job. Buying new would eliminate the prep cost of the figure above.
    3. You can buy a whole installation kit for a Biesemeyer / Revenge/ Canary/ D'Cucci/ Advantage/ Spitfire/, from Bergeron Marine. Now they have everything you need in this kit and though i'm not sure exactly how much i'd guess it's around $10,000 to $12,000. Now you have to have someone rig it. Now with this installation package it doesn't come with any mill work or over the top custom made parts so you'll have to have someone do that for you if you so desire and that drives the cost up again. Cost of an install of your kit is probably around $5000.00. Remember with a new hull you have to do everything including prop shaft hole / blueprint bottom/ install fins etc etc...
    4. Almost forgot the most important deal, the hull. If you choose to buy a new deal (circle) your goona spend around $8000.00 to $10.000.
    5. This makes Morg's deal look like a steal. The only thing Morg isn't doing is putting a price on his "FUN"(LABOR). If he did, and lets say for kicks he said $50.00 per hr, what would the cost of his deal be. I know you can't put a price on a good time (fun) but with the bar being raised every year with the boats I see (v-drives) at these "VACATIONS", it's obvious the price varies on each individual and what he deams to be bitchen. With that said...Steve you need to buy this Revenge, dig deep in to those 501's and have youself a hell of alot of "FUN"!!!! :rollside:
    Floors $4500
    prep work- $2500
    Install Kit- $12000
    Install- $5000
    New Hull- $10,000
    Paint- $10,000
    Total = $44,000
    Kind of makes Nordlings boat a steal at $35000 for a complete running K boat.
    Also makes the K5 a steal for $6000

Morg, I can imagine you have your heart and soul in this boat. No doubt it's beautiful. I refer to your restoration constantly. To bring this boat back to life knowing it had some history is great. So many of these have lost their identity. Thanks for sharing the reality of a restoration. I think alot of us lose sight of the fact that unforseen necessities for a project like this takes it beyond the original monetary vision.
    Billy--you're right ...loaded question. I know we've talked about it numerous times, but you, Morg ,Wayne, and Jerry pretty much brought it together. Depending on the result you want ----watch what you buy, how much can you really do yourself, what is the time frame (and or) how fat's the check book. Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure this will give people a better idea of how much and what it takes to bring a HOT ROD like these back to life..............Steve

BILLY.B
    Floors $4500
    prep work- $2500
    Install Kit- $12000
    Install- $5000
    New Hull- $10,000
    Paint- $10,000
    Total = $44,000
    Kind of makes Nordlings boat a steal at $35000 for a complete running K boat.
    Also makes the K5 a steal for $6000 Couple of more things Kato...
    1.Polish and anodizing/ powder coating $1000.00-$2000.00.
    2. Plumbing/ Hardlines..$2500.00 /?????
    3. Fuel tank...Stack tank/ Fuel cell ?????.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast