Thread: Alternator Suggestion

Hallett19
    I am in the market for an alternator and wanted any opinions on what people have that might work. I have a BBF with an external regulator and I dont want to have have to re-wire the whole system to work with another alt. I have a 1400 watt stereo and 2 big deep cycles so I would need a little more than a stock output alt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Danhercules
    I went through all this 2 weeks ago.
    Read this thread. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showt...&highlight=alt)
    There is an Auto Zone part number. Go get it and put it in. Almost bolts right up. I had to make a longer spacer for the bolt. Thats it.

Hallett19
    Ok, so now I dont mind going to a single wire alternator. My next question is which alternator will fit my motor ? I have the 2 hole, one bolts to the block, the other bolts to an arm for adjusting.
    Other than finding one that will fit, what is involved with changing the wiring from external regulator to a 1 wire ?

Hustler
    As far as a alternator goes call Ron @ R&B in Parker, I got a 120 amp from two years ago and love it. Ron is one the best guys to deal also, he does the Long Beach swap meet and Pomona also. His prices are great and his customer service is top notch. If you cant get his number from 411 I'll find when I get home tonight.

460 jus getn it
    dl7140m is the gm one wire alt from autozone. i think it is 84.99 and has a core charge. i have this one on my 460 and it works great.

promod
    one wire is the way to go and they are 55.00 from car quest and part #7161
    run straight from alt to hot side of bat and your done wid it

Hallett19
    460, I think you work at Autozone and if this is the case, this is a shamless way for you to advertise I have an autozone deal on there now and it hasn't worked right for the last few months even after going through 3 regulators. Someone is telling me go with a 94+ Mustang alternator which is a 120 amp one wire setup and it looks like its the same setup as the current one I have. Hustler, I'll get ahold of your guy and see what he has to say.

CrdStang
    I believe the '94+ Mustang (the newer, curvy "SN-95" platform, not the boxy old "fox" chassis Mustang) alternator is commonly refered to as the "3G" alternator and is good to 160 amps. It's pricey, best I could do was $220 at Checker w/lifetime warranty. They have a great rep for dependability so a used one might not be out of the question.
    I know it aint a boat, but I swapped a 3G into my '84 SVO Mustang. Noticeably better! Headlights are brighter and stuff.