Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Pressure Regulator or ?

TIGGER
    Spring is here and it is time to work on my boat. I picked up this boat last fall. The previous owner sold it because water was mixing in the crankcase and did not want to fool with it. My boat is running an Olds 350 with a Berkley Jet. The motor has been rebuilt and run very little. From what I have read on this board, the Olds engine are prone to taking in water if a pressure regulator is not present or set correctly. I do not have a good pressure regulator on this boat and was wondering what I should get. Also where should I install a pressure gauge at to monitor the water pressure?
    Also, should I go thru and replace the intake and head gaskets?
    Any help would be appreciated......

kingjason
    If its running the valley gasket on the intake trash it for some good fiber gaskets and that should solve your problem. I just went thru this and put Fel pro permas on the heads and mr gasket I think on the intake. It was the intake but since I was already tore down I figured oh well. My head gaskets were fine. Its generally the intake.

Foggerjet
    Agreed, The valley pan is a definate issue. Especially when running an aftermarket alum intake, the embossed steel gasket doesn't seal right. Get some good fel-pros (4 piece) and don't use the end seals, run a nice bead of silicone on the ends, and let her go. Should be fine.
    fog
    BTW, how well does that 350 push the boat?

BadBahner
    Spring is here and it is time to work on my boat. I picked up this boat last fall. The previous owner sold it because water was mixing in the crankcase and did not want to fool with it. My boat is running an Olds 350 with a Berkley Jet. The motor has been rebuilt and run very little. From what I have read on this board, the Olds engine are prone to taking in water if a pressure regulator is not present or set correctly. I do not have a good pressure regulator on this boat and was wondering what I should get. Also where should I install a pressure gauge at to monitor the water pressure?
    Also, should I go thru and replace the intake and head gaskets?
    Any help would be appreciated......
    I have a pressure regualtor for sale. I bought it from Duane at HTP but ended up not needing it. It has never been installed and it brand new. PM me if you want it.
    Eric

aaronb
    I was actually going to post something similar here myself, but figured I'd look through recent posts to see if someone already posted... similar issue.. not quite the same.. and I wanted some suggestions here.
    I noticed yesterday that I'm spraying water out between my heads and block (merlin heads, gen V chevy block), esp at higher RPMs. I am NOT getting any water in my oil, that I can tell, but I do seem to have some oil coming out the exhaust (probably out of the breathers plumbed from valve cover to header). Only thing that I can think is that I just have WAY too much PSI coming in off of my pump. I have no cutoff valve or pressure regulator between pump and block.
    Would the high PSI (I've heard up to 250-300PSI) cause problems such as I'm having, and be basically blowing out my head gasket? Thinking of an auto application, a cooling system is normally at like 14-18 PSI, and can't imagine that the gaskets are rated to 100x that.
    Thoughts?? What is the best way to cut down the PSI off of the pump?
    Thanks!!
    =-Aaron

bakerjet
    I was actually going to post something similar here myself, but figured I'd look through recent posts to see if someone already posted... similar issue.. not quite the same.. and I wanted some suggestions here.
    I noticed yesterday that I'm spraying water out between my heads and block (merlin heads, gen V chevy block), esp at higher RPMs. I am NOT getting any water in my oil, that I can tell, but I do seem to have some oil coming out the exhaust (probably out of the breathers plumbed from valve cover to header). Only thing that I can think is that I just have WAY too much PSI coming in off of my pump. I have no cutoff valve or pressure regulator between pump and block.
    Would the high PSI (I've heard up to 250-300PSI) cause problems such as I'm having, and be basically blowing out my head gasket? Thinking of an auto application, a cooling system is normally at like 14-18 PSI, and can't imagine that the gaskets are rated to 100x that.
    Thoughts?? What is the best way to cut down the PSI off of the pump?
    Thanks!!
    =-Aaron
    make sure the line going out is as big or bigger than the line coming in and then put a gate valve on the inlet to pinch it back a little.

MudPumper
    This topic has been covered in detail here. Just do a search for "Pressure Regulator" or "Pressure Reducing Regulator" and you should find all the info you need. Good luck.

TIGGER
    BTW, how well does that 350 push the boat?
    No Idea, I have never had it out on the water due to the water / oil mix. The previous owner had it out a couple times and said it moved pretty good? The motor and heads are 68 vintage which had the highest HP out of all the 350's.

TIGGER
    This topic has been covered in detail here. Just do a search for "Pressure Regulator" or "Pressure Reducing Regulator" and you should find all the info you need. Good luck.
    Thanks, I will take a look.

LVjetboy
    "Would the high PSI (I've heard up to 250-300PSI) cause problems such as I'm having, and be basically blowing out my head gasket? Thinking of an auto application, a cooling system is normally at like 14-18 PSI, and can't imagine that the gaskets are rated to 100x that."
    250-300 psi's a bit high. 100-200 psi more likely for typical lake jets (300-800 hp). But even that's static pressure...something your block won't see unless you close off your dump line(s)...not a good idea? Free flowing block pressure will depend on the pump supply line size, fittings, valves, etc. and will typically be quite a bit less than bowl static pressure. But still can bleed a gasket.
    I also think maximum car cooling system pressure is limited by radiator design not engine gaskets, so a properly torqued Chevy with good gaskets and surfaces should be able to handle more than 14-18 psi. I run mine at 20 psi full throttle but I think it could handle a bit more. The 454 I had before leaked seals with anything over about 10 psi...bad seals.
    "What is the best way to cut down the PSI off of the pump?"
    Depends on your maximum power. For up to 650 hp true, proper supply and dump line sizing work fine. That covers most lake jets. Over that? At some point I'm guessing you'd need a regulator so idle flow is not compromised.
    jer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast