Thread: 72 Sanger Shovel Nose.

Brazos River Rat
    Looking at buying a 72 Sanger Shovel Nose, I know that Hydro's do not turn well, but what else should I consider before buying one.
    How much power does it need to run in the 90's ???
    I should be able to pick it up pretty cheap.
    I have a Big Block Chevy making about 550 hp, do you think this would be enough for a lake hydro.
    Where should I look for stress cracks, besides on the runners and the floor.
    I currently have a 73 Sanger Flat , so I know it will not act the same as this...
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Billy

DUECE'SDAD
    I have a 71 shovelnose, that i have had for two years, and was very intimidated by the hull until i actually got it into the water. They take chop very well and the turning is not all that bad, i would not ski behind it b/c of the lack of quick steering, but you can turn it you just have to have plenty of speed and kinda scoot and slide like a dirt tracker. (all this only applies if outboard steering) I have about 425 hp 454 and will run 91 mph and even has a hydrualic cam so that it is an almost maintence free cruiser. The lay up on mine is so thick that i dont think it would have any stress cracks, i havent ever seen any on mine. My wife drives mine alot, thats how lake friendly it is, and we have had out 2 year old son in it the last two years. (thats a 1 year old in a hydro !! ! ) Let me know if you need any more answers, i have kinda learn the in and out of this boat by talking to an guy that was a sanger dealer in the late 60's thru 80's. I can wait to get some more power in mine to push the 100 mark.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...524/744RAT.jpg

Brazos River Rat
    Thanks for the reply.
    I will go and look at it this weekend.
    I also want to reach the very hard 100 MPH.

Kurtis500
    I think hydros turn much better if they have inboard steering. Outboard is slow and takes a larger radius to swing around. Dont be scared of the inboard steering. I've heard people say they dont trust them over 100, but they are the same equipment thats in flatbottoms they run 130+. Also, the nose moves down when under way in a hydro, so if you do rough water be a little more careful.
    100 should be pretty easy to hit if your gear and prop combo match the motor.

mfrey
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...72April04a.jpg
    73 Sanger Flat,
    I have a 71 Sanger Ski Hydro...610 HP BBC, 18% gears, 11 1/8x16 three blade Radiece prop...best time NJBA to date is 105 @ 10.22. Inboard steering works fine as long as the rudder is long enough. I also had my strut modified...had plates added to it to help blow the tail. This didn't help a whole lot with speed or et (I was surprised) but it now rides like a hydro and now actually has a decent rooster tail (only with the 3 blade). Before I had the motor done, it ran 94 @ 11.15 with a crate LS6 454. They are cool boats...I think the nicest looking Sanger's built, but I'm partial. Let me know if you have any more questions.

mfrey
    Oh crap...sorry about the size of that last picture.

Sangster
    It's lookin' purdy loud also......