Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater use options

hydrostream'n
    I've talked to a few new jet boat manufacturers and can't get any real answers as to what can be done to help keep whatever jetdrive setup I buy in decent condition if it's used 50% of it's time on salt water. There seems to be a treatment for them as well as a closed cooling system, but I was told the 496 is the largest I can get and still have that setup (Steve from Ultra told me that). Is that true and what exactly is this treatment? If I flush and trailer which ever boat I get would that be enough or do I really need this saltwater treatment/setup?
    I'd be happy with the 496 but I noticed here that most don't like the 496 if future mods are going to be wanted, so I would like to go bigger for a better starting point, what should I look for and how do I get one of these new boat folks to go outside the box for me. Thanks in advance,
    Herb :lightsabe

SoggyJet
    Herb,
    What do you intend to do with the boat? I assume you will trailer it, correct? That being the case you should not have any problem. There is a little more upkeep and a little more corrosion to deal with but if you do the work the boat, jet and engine should hold up fine. If you intend to moore it for more than a day or two at a time you have more issues to think about.
    My brother has a 74 Sidewinder with a berkeley jet that has been used in salt water all of it's life and is still going. He is careful to thoroughly flush it out after each use, running fresh water through the engine and rinsing the entire hull and especially the jet.
    On the engine, stay away from injected headers (bassetts or rewarder) and either get the aluminum center riser (stainless marine, EMI Thunder, etc) or spend the bucks for the Lightning ALL stainless headers or CMI stainless headers. If you have trick aluminum engine parts (heads) you may want to go for the closed cooling system, but with a typical cast iron engine block and heads failed exhaust manifolds or other problems will hurt the engine before corrosion from the water jacket will. Oh and make sure the head gasket is stainless and that you have brass core plugs.
    As far as the rest of the boat, polished aluminum dulls and starts to oxidize almost immediately so get it powder coated if possible. Use stainless hardware anywhere you can.
    The real problem in salt water happens when you have the dissimilar metals (aluminum and stainless or cast iron) immersed in the electrolyte (salt water) you start a battery type action (electrolysis) that eats away the aluminum parts. Take away the salt water after you use the boat (take the boat out of the water and flush the engine and drive) and you eliminate 90% of the corrosion problem - even if you are running an aluminum intake manifold.
    As far as the trailer, make sure to get a galvanized one (only costs $50 - $100 more) and flush it after each use. I see galvinized trailers lasting 15 plus years around salt water, still in good working shape. Painted steel trailers are usually shot at around 5 years.
    Good luck
    Doug McCoy

hydrostream'n
    You are the best, and thanks for answering my jet newbie question. I'm use to dealing with I/O fishing boats in NJ and DE, but a jet is forign to me.
    I plan on buying a new west cost type custom open bow jet boat in the 21-23 range this or next season (to handle the bay and boat chop and haul all my friends) which I will trailer around all of the time. The most it will be in the water is Sat/Sun (weekend trips to the shore, back bay areas) and I can pull it out just to be safe instead of leaving it docked behind my beach house overnight. Other use will be in the chesapeake bay (northern fresh water part) and the PA/DE/NJ rivers & lakes, but just day trips and all of that is fresh water.
    Looks like the 496 HO is the standard motor and comes set up for saltwater if I want it, but I may try and get them to do a 502 or 540 without the treatment so I can get the performance up a bit later, easier. I'll keep your motor option recommendations handy when I chat with the boat companies. So far I've chatted with Ultra, Cobra, Caliber1, & Laser. Ultra being my first choice at this point but they are a little slow to respond to my questions so far. Maybe us east coasters aren't a priority to the west cost custom boat companies.
    Thanks again,

spectras only
    This is a 1976 boat/trailer I had until a few years ago. Original jet unit [ nozzle changed recently for a place diverter] with original fotografix painted steel trailer. Had the trailer painted once with zinc chromate after 10 years use.Picture was taken prior selling it. My buddy has it and it's in great shape. Used it in the ocean as much as in the lakes/rivers .
    http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/spectra20.3jpg.jpg

Red Horse
    Saltwater+any boat+ better do the maintenace
    They will last a long time if they are rinsed and flushed everytime and that day. Not the next day when you are feeling better!!! :rollside:

Mandelon
    Doesn't the 496 have closed cooling..........

hydrostream'n
    Doesn't the 496 have closed cooling..........
    Yes it does, but posts here on ***boat don't recomend the 496 if I want more power later, and I am assuming I will with the 496/jet setup and a 21'-23' boat.
    It seems that anything bigger and easily modifiable won't come with closed cooling :-(
    I am leaning towards just getting the motor I want and being diligent with cleaning and flushing.
    Thanks for all the advice.

SoggyJet
    Herb,
    I am envious, you are looking at purchasing the boat I have dreamed of. Good luck, hope it works out for ya.
    Doug McCoy

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    This Will Be My 7th Year Mooring In Boston Harbor. I Pull The Boat Out Of The Water About Every 2 Months To Spray It Down With Fresh Water. Keep Up With The Zinc Chromate Primer(for Use With Alunumim)(no Chr For Use On Steel)and A Good Coat Of Paint, And Make Sure Your Zincs/bonding Wires Are All Fastened Together To Battery Ground And Ya Can Stay In Salt Watern For A Long Time. But I Sure Think Of My Old Fresh Water Days, Sure Was Easier....bill.

hydrostream'n
    Herb,
    I am envious, you are looking at purchasing the boat I have dreamed of. Good luck, hope it works out for ya.
    Doug McCoy
    Well I got lucky...
    My dream house would be on the coast and probably down south with a place to put the boat in the water out back in a moments notice (not happening till I retire or get transfered with a big big big raise), but my secondary choice since I'm stuck here in "middle of nowhere" central Pennsylvania is a house on the lake or river. Well, I got close... I'm living in a house in a lake community where I can run my boat anytime I want. We've been here a year and a half then we adopted a daughter from Guatemala and the whole priority thing kicks in with the wife. "we need to be in a more kid friendly community and area" so I agree to move back into town. :hammerhea Since I was such an understanding husband :cry: I managed to gilt here into a bigger boat that we (family and her friends as well as mine when they fit) can use at the beach, bay, lakes and rivers because she is making me move out of my "back up dream" lake community house :devil: So the most practical boat to fit these needs and make up for the move had to be a west coast custom monster motor jet boat from one of the well known builders I see in all the hot boat mags
    Now I may have to give up that new car payment and keep the old GMC Van (tow vehicle anyway) in order to justify the loan payment, but I am a happy man who will live in any shack in any town to own (or be in debt to own) his dream boat without the worry that my wife won't approve
    So I am looking to make sure I get exactly what I need, thus my questions above.
    BTW SoggyJet, where in NJ do you boat and what do you run boat wise? I have a friend who lives down the street from a public ramp on the Deleware river in Pennsville, NJ and I have been meaning to go out there and do a little boating. Just wondering if you're close enough to meet up with us so you can take my boat for a run when I get it.
    Herb, Stacey, & Mya
    Dillsburg, PA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast