Thread: Intake differences Low profile vs. standard..4 degree vs.5 degree vs. ???

poncho-pwr
    Can someone please explain the differences in a low profile intake and a standard intake? What makes it a Low profile, is it just machined down lower? Also, when refering to a low profile 5 degree race intake what is the 5 degrees in reference to?
    Last but not least, is it possible to machine an existing lake boat standard intake into a low profile intake.

steelcomp
    Can someone please explain the differences in a low profile intake and a standard intake? What makes it a Low profile, is it just machined down lower? Also, when refering to a low profile 5 degree race intake what is the 5 degrees in reference to?
    Last but not least, is it possible to machine an existing lake boat standard intake into a low profile intake.It's basically just what it says, lower profile. If you lok at it from the side, (the profile) the suction housing mounting surface is lower than a standard int. There are two things this accomplishes. IN simple terms, it reduces the volume in the intake, and it lowers the pump. which lowers the thrust. The 5* is in reference to the angle of the suction housing mounting surface in relationship to level. A standard Berk intake is 4*. The extra degree changes the angle of the inlet water, lowers the nozzle even more, and also points the shaft angle back up at the engine. With the low profile int, leaving it at 4* would require lowering the motor the same to keep the drive alignment right. I lowered mine a little over 1".
    I just finished cutting down an intake and I can tell you there's way more to it than just cutting one up and re-welding it.

poncho-pwr
    Excellent explaination. Thank you very much. Your post on installing an inducer was very informative as well the other day.

dragboat
    At what point do you see the advantage in the difference of the intakes?
    Is this a big HP go fast only part? When is it worth the work and cost?

dragboat
    anyone?

cyclone
    When i rigged my new boat i chose a low profile intake. I dont think i'd switch an existing 4-degree intake to a low profile one because it affects many other things in the boat, which adds to the amount of work you'll have to do. the pump angle will change so the transom adapter will need to be altered. the motor mounts might also need to be re-installed at a new angle as well. things to think about if you are considering switching intakes.