Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High comp motor timing questions- I have several....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Just getting some ideas for my new engine. What would be an ideal setting for timming on this motor with AV gas or RACE fuel? Here is the combo
    454 .030 over
    12.5-1
    ported, closed chamber, rectangular port, steel heads
    tunnel ram w/ dual holley 750 dp's
    258@.50,.615 lift,108 lobe solid lifter cam(3000-8000 rpm range)
    msd dist,wires,coil and 6al
    basset dry headers
    going in a jetboat
    What is a good starting point? Someone at the races told me that it will be around 44-46 degrees with race fuel and 36-38 degrees with av gas. I am planning on spinning her to about 6k r's. I am open for ideas. Also, what would be the ideal rpm's to bring in the total advance? Some say 3k and others say 2k. Why would I bring in total advance by 2k rpm's if the cam dont start making power until 3k r's?

Moneypitt
    Lock it out, set it at 37-38 degrees and forget about it.......MP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Lock it out, set it at 37-38 degrees and forget about it.......MP
    Why?? What about starting??Do I need a start retard controller? This is a lake boat. Could you please explain this for me moneypitt? I am curious...

Jet City
    Just my preference, but I wouldn't care to have locked out timing for a play boat, seems that full advance by 2000 rpms should do as well and not work the starter and battery as hard.
    I like to use a GPS and start with 32-34* total, you'll figure out were adding timing stops netting results in short order, 46* sounds pretty extreme for this application.
    I have nearly the same engine you described but mine is a .060 over 427 (440 cube) in a v-drive (12.66:1, closed chamber rect heads, 256/264 @ .050, 108 LSA, .618/.638 solid flat tappet, tunnel ram w/650 DB's, Bassett headers, etc.). I'll be interested to see how your engine does in that jet.

GofastRacer
    Why?? What about starting??Do I need a start retard controller? This is a lake boat. Could you please explain this for me moneypitt? I am curious...
    Lock out is total BS, all it does is kill starters and batteries, if you want it all in right now set the curve to come in just off idle!.. For your description and your use with the gas you plan on using, put 20degrees in the distributor and have it all in by 2500-3000 with a total of 36, that will give you 16 initial. It will start easy and run smoothe and you won't have to worry about detonation!..
    BTW, how bout them parts for Billy's motor????. :hammerhea

Fiat48
    Damn Gofast! I can't add anything to that.

GofastRacer
    Damn Gofast! I can't add anything to that.
    Damn you got to be kiddin, you getting old or something!..LOL..

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Lock out is total BS, all it does is kill starters and batteries, if you want it all in right now set the curve to come in just off idle!.. For your description and your use with the gas you plan on using, put 20degrees in the distributor and have it all in by 2500-3000 with a total of 36, that will give you 16 initial. It will start easy and run smoothe and you won't have to worry about detonation!..
    BTW, how bout them parts for Billy's motor????. :hammerhea
    Ok so what springs do I use on the msd distributor. What about the advance stops?? I have never worked with a msd dist.
    I am working on it art. I am in the process of buying a new boat....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    if you want it all in right now set the curve to come in just off idle!..
    why would you want it all in by idle?

GofastRacer
    Ok so what springs do I use on the msd distributor. What about the advance stops?? I have never worked with a msd dist.
    I am working on it art. I am in the process of buying a new boat....
    If you don't have access to a distributor machine, you'll need a degree tape on the balancer and use a timing light and run it and see what you have then go from there, if you have a kit you will have assorted springs, weights and stops, it's no different than any other distributor!..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast