Thread: Speaker Question.

g1500
    Im looking into putting a stereo into my grandfathers boat. It is small bayliner(19-21ft) Im new into the boating world, but I wanna have some tunes when im on the lake with it. Any ideas? It comes stock with 6.5s I think, Im looking for somthing that will do good without cutting new holes. I am thinking about doing bass tubes under the driver and passenger console. Should I go with waterproof speakers, or just a normal head unit and speakers? Im going to need a good (not too high end stuff) head unit, amp and speakers. Any ideas?

ROZ
    Normal 12v equiptment is okay if you make sure the headunit and amp(s) are protected from the elements. Speakers can be non marine as long as the speakers are they are poly or composite cone and have rubber surround. Most will fit in OEM holes, but you just don't know until you get in there...
    Hope this helps

TrojanDan
    I used to have one of those boats. Replace the head unit and the two 6.5's that are on the driver and passenger sides and go with a new headunit, 4-channel amp, new 6.5's and 6x9's in a pre-made carpeted box for under the rear seats. Don't worry about buying the waterproof speakers as long as they are made of that poly or rubber material (not paper). Don't expect to go very loud since you're not going to hear the stereo very well under way anyways. The music is more for idling or just chillin.
    Maybe a 5-channel amp if you want to add the bass tube. Don't go too overkill on this system or else you'll have to add a second battery and all the other b.s.

TrojanDan
    Duh. I didn't read your speaker comments Roz. :hammerhea
    Yeah, what Roz said.

g1500
    I used to have one of those boats. Replace the head unit and the two 6.5's that are on the driver and passenger sides and go with a new headunit, 4-channel amp, new 6.5's and 6x9's in a pre-made carpeted box for under the rear seats. Don't worry about buying the waterproof speakers as long as they are made of that poly or rubber material (not paper). Don't expect to go very loud since you're not going to hear the stereo very well under way anyways. The music is more for idling or just chillin.
    Maybe a 5-channel amp if you want to add the bass tube. Don't go too overkill on this system or else you'll have to add a second battery and all the other b.s.
    The boat has 2 batteries, it can be converted to add a trolling motor, which is never on anyways. The reason i didnt want to put anything under the rear 2 seats, is because one normally gets an ice chest, and the other side has the step, and a lot of water comes flowing in there.
    I was thinking of replacing the side speakers, with maybe 6x9s, and adding a bass tube under where the head unit is mounted, and sticking an amp under there.
    oh yea, the music isnt for driving, cuz i cant hear shit anyways, just for when were parked like you said.

TrojanDan
    Sounds like you know what your going to install then. Although I would re-think the bass tube idea since you might get a lot of rattle from the windshield, etc.. on the boat. I know those boats are not made the sturdiest.
    Install some good sounding three-way 6x9's on the side and maybe some 6x9's in the bow area and call it a day with the speakers. These 4 speakers should be sufficient for your size boat. Of course a better head unit and amp will help also.

g1500
    Right on, any recomendation for a head unit?

TrojanDan
    Any decent head unit will do as long as you have at least one pre-out for the amp. Taste all depends on you. Do you want XM radio, detachable face, remote control, etc...

g1500
    I have XM roady that I plan on using and dont care about remote or face/bling.