Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intercoolers??????

BLOWN HOWARD
    Curious how much an intercooler would help out my motor and, if it would make the motor last longer,What kind of HP do you get out of them and what is some cost for them also

Infomaniac
    100 HP at least. On gasoline.
    Superchiller is one that will work on standard blower manifolds. Shop around.
    Whipple makes a really nice one that fits inside their manifold. Very effecient. No additional height. Not cheap though. I can get you a deal but they are way more than a superchiller.

JLaughreySS24
    Hey Infomaniac, since we are on the subject of a whipplecooler, I have a question for you? I have a 502 with a superchiller and a 250 B&M supercharger that I am running currently and am pleased with it but im curious to know if by changing the B&M manifold and the superchiller out for a whipplecooler would I pick up some more HP cause I would be lowering my blower down closer to the motor which should give me more boost with the same pulley im running now. Not to mention the whipplecooler running cooler than the superchiller. Am I on the right track cause if im not mistaking when you do add a superchiller you do loose some boost cause the blower is sitting higher up now correct? Than later I could add a single whipple charger to add to my whipplecooler. Thanks for any input you might have.

Infomaniac
    The Whipple manifold and cooler will ad a bit more power by allowing you to run a bit more boost.
    The additional power would not justify the cost until you put a Whipple on it.
    [ August 13, 2003, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

565edge
    Richard lee also makes a very good cooler?

DogHouse
    JLaughreySS24:
    ...Am I on the right track cause if im not mistaking when you do add a superchiller you do loose some boost cause the blower is sitting higher up now correct? Than later I could add a single whipple charger to add to my whipplecooler. Thanks for any input you might have. Not quite... you lose boost pressure with an intercooler because you're cooling the air mass, which drops the pressure due to PV=nRT (perfect gas law). There is also a pressure drop due to the frictional losses of the air moving through the fins of the cooler. That fact that the blower is sitting up higher does not directly cause the pressure drop. On the plus side, you do gain density with the drop in temperature, so the net effect is increased HP because the engine has a larger air mass to work with. A more efficient blower like the screw compressor will produce even more HP gains because it creates less heat and less mechanical loss (HP consumed) to produce the same boost level.
    -brian

MAXIMUS
    Did you get any of that JBB???

hbhallett
    While on the topic of intercoolers----
    Finally got my engine together and took the procharged 454 hallett bubble deck down to the river to try it out. Well the intercooler which was supposed to have been pressure checked by the OEM (per the previous seller) sent water all through my intake system (carb enclosure had about 1" of water on the floor) and otherwise nearly hydrolocked my brand new motor. $@#*
    So I call the worst customer service outfit on the planet (you know the outfit Procharger) and get put on the tech line and wait and wait and then wait some more until I get one of their top notch yahoos on the line. I explain to him my problem and ask if I can get an envelope drawing for the different intercooler configurations that they offer so that I can place an order for a replacement. His response was that they don't have such a thing and that what I was asking for was an engineering drawing which is proprietary. How absurd is this? I'm about to drop $1200-$1600 for an intercooler and they can't even give me the courtesy of a paper napkin sketch such that I can order the correct item. After finally convincing that genius that maybe he should fax a hand sketch so that I can place an order I wait for the fax and wait and wait and wait...... and never get anything. Beyond that I also ask him to fax a listing of local distributors so that I can do business with them and nothing......
    Knowing that GS marine is involved with them I contact overall good guy Greg Shoemaker and place an order for a unit which should be a standard replacement for the kit that I have. Greg does his thing and I get the part well it's not the same as what I have so Greg and I get on the phone with Dorian who is the only helpful guy at Procharger and start the process all over (that is of getting a dimensional drawing of the different intercoolers they offer to compare to the one that I need). What a big waste of everyones time, shipping expense, frayed nerves, etc.....which could have been avoided if Procharger would just wake up and realize that people don't want to do business with an outfit that makes you wait on the phone foreeeeeever, doesn't fulfill their promises (about a simple fax with model numbers vs. envelope dimensions) and makes it as hard as hell to place an order.
    I wish I had spent my money with Whipple, BDS, Mert Littlefield, Mooneyham any one else but the undisputed leader in bad customer service.

JLaughreySS24
    Infomaniac and Doghouse, Thx for the info. I really appreciate it. Info, Have you ever ran a single carbed whipple set up berore? If so do you have any pics of the set up or any thoughts on what you thought of it. Thanks again. By the way hbhallet, sorry to here all the BS you went through with procharger. I went through the same shit 4 years ago and now im just running a little B&M 250 for now. Dont get me wrong, prochargers work really good but I guess its just preference. And yes customer service really sucks with them. Someday I would like to switch over to a whipple!

Unchained
    My homemade intercooler has worked out pretty well so far.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/220DSC01682-med.JPG[/img]
    I pressure tested the core with 40 psi water pressure before I installed it and have rechecked it with air pressure a couple times since.
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/220DSC01681-med.JPG[/img]
    The core was a new heater core from a bus and cost me $ 50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast