Thread: Oil Cooler Yes/No?

455Olds
    Oil Cooler or no Oil Cooler?
    I've read pages and pages of internet sludge regarding this topic, and it seems the arguments go both ways. I had thought it was a no brainer. Apparantely not. Several articles I read stated that in a marine environment, there is no need for such a cooler. Unless your oil is truly heating up or breaking down, is it really needed? Should I add one to my boat?
    I had one on it before my latest rebuild, but the spun bearing pushed shavings everywhere. I'd be damned if I was risking a shaving still be inside the cooler. I'm getting only 25lbs now though, could this be part of the problem?

455Olds:
    Oil Cooler or no Oil Cooler?
    I've read pages and pages of internet sludge regarding this topic, and it seems the arguments go both ways. I had thought it was a no brainer. Apparantely not. Several articles I read stated that in a marine environment, there is no need for such a cooler. Unless your oil is truly heating up or breaking down, is it really needed? Should I add one to my boat?
    I had one on it before my latest rebuild, but the spun bearing pushed shavings everywhere. I'd be damned if I was risking a shaving still be inside the cooler. I'm getting only 25lbs now though, could this be part of the problem? not having a cooler will not cause the low pressure you're describing because your cool idle pressure is too low to begin with at 40 lb. then dropping to 25 when it heats up (what I would consider a normal drop in pressure difference between cold and hot). 40 lb though should be the least you see with hot oil at running rpm. 20-30 at an idle (hot) maybe but it should jump as soon as you touch the throttle back up to 40 or preferably higher if things are right.
    To accurately answer your question whether you need an oil cooler, you need to know your oil temperature (gauge). otherwise you are guessing in the wind.

fat rat
    How about using a heat gun to shoot the oil pan or filter?

Ultra21
    What is a "normal" operating temperature for oil? and what temp would you want to maintain it at. With a 10 qt. oil pan and dual external filters with about 2.5' of hose, would this act as a sufficient cooler?

Wet Dream
    As I stated in your post earlier, my 455 did the exact same thing as yours. When I added the oil cooler, I kicked my ass for not doing it earlier and risking damage. I'm all for a cooler, but thats my $.02

Jim B.
    I would have to agree with Rexone. You really need to find out what kind of oil temperature you are running first. I run an oil cooler on my boat but I'm also running a blower which causes increased oil temperature. I also know guys who run blowers and don't run an oil cooler. Also, it is a common misconception that increasing pan volume is for decreasing oil temperature. WRONG!!! The purpose of 10 and 12 quart oil pans is primarily to keep the oil pump from running dry. The oil is still going to see the same temperature, it might take a little longer to get because of increased capacity.