Thread: Oil Pump Flow vs. Cooling

Wet Dream
    I understand that the oil pump does not flow all of the oil through the filter before going through the engine. I think I read somewhere that it was about 10% that actually gets filtered during the cycle. My cooler setup on my Olds engine comes off of the block, through the cooler to the filter and then returns to the block. The oil is definately getting cooled at the filter, but after a good cruise the oil temp measured in the pan gets close to 240*. I know that the oil being slung off of the bearings drops to the pan leaving the pan temp high, but is there a way that I can get more oil passed through the cooler to reduce the oil temp left in the pan?

lost boy
    that doesn't sound right to me but I could be wrong.The only time oil doesnt go thru filter is when oil is cold or filter is starting to plug up and at that point it will bypass untill oil thins out or filter is changed.At least that is my understanding. maybe we both will learn somthing about this soon?

paradigm shift
    By-pass in the block is the only way not all your oil will not go through the cooler. I have heard of people having trouble with gen V - VI blocks if they have incorrect by-pass valve. I run a gen 4 block with by-pass blocked so I know all my oil goes through filter and cooler. Just have to make sure oil is warmed before you zing it if you run blocked.
    Only other is to make sure your water flow is opposite oil flow in the cooler. Check for full water flow through the cooler. Not sure how you are plumbed.
    Personally I would not worry about 240 in the pan. You might put a temp gauge in the return flow from the cooler so you know what the temperature of oil is feeding your motor. You need to get up to 220 or so to boil off any moisture in the oil. Bigger cooler with a T stat is your other option
    Just my .02

PC Rat
    Only other is to make sure your water flow is opposite oil flow in the cooler.
    Why is that?
    Brian

paradigm shift
    Why is that?
    Brian
    It will work either way for sure. I am not real good at explaining things in writing usually but I will try. The coolest water will be at the water inlet end of the oil cooler. The coolest oil will be at the exit end of the cooler for the oil. Plumbing as I suggested would put the coolest water in contact with the coolest oil helping pull the last bit of heat out of the oil right before it exits the cooler on way to the motor. On a multi-pass heat exchanger it would not necessarily matter but all the oil coolers are a single pass design I have seen for boat use.
    It was just something that should be checked in my opinion for someone trying to squeeze everything they can out of a possibly undersized heat exchanger. There is a lot more to heat exchangers for sure but I hope that helps.

lilrick
    sounds reasonable to me