Thread: Running without thermostat

wrenchdaddy
    Hey guys I want to take the boat out this weekend but it doesn;t have a thermostat kit in it, right now it is just an open system. It has been this way for a long time since before I bought it, Im just worried that the water may be a little too chilly still and that the engine won;t ever warm up. I'll be getting a thermo kit from rex soon but I want to take her out now. Would it be safe?

Taylorman
    It will be fine. Go for it. Ive run mine 4 times so far.

Devilman
    I wondered about it too. I ran mine 4-5 times last Jan. and my system is completely open. Especially when I started reading about it here because mine doesn't have any valves, regulators, or any of that stuff. But it was put together that way, so whatever they did, my motors happy. I just keep an eye on it. I'd run it!
    Besides, after searching around here it seems, like it's about a 50/50 call on whether it's good or bad. Everybody has different opinions and different boats and it's all good information, so I just take it all in, be objective, & then make a decision.

Aluminum Squirt
    Run it. I have a thermostat/regulator set up now, but I didn't used to and frequently I'd run on the shallow snow melt rivers that were less than 50 degrees, Never had any issues-Aluminum Squirt

Greaser
    C,mon WD get that thing in the water!!!!
    I dont have a thermastat on mine either :rollside:

BadBahner
    Hey guys I want to take the boat out this weekend but it doesn;t have a thermostat kit in it, right now it is just an open system. It has been this way for a long time since before I bought it, Im just worried that the water may be a little too chilly still and that the engine won;t ever warm up. I'll be getting a thermo kit from rex soon but I want to take her out now. Would it be safe?
    I dont run a thermostat either.

Hallett19
    I know many many people who dont run thermostats, my first engine ran over 22 years with no thermostat and the owner said he never had a problem. Run it.

wrenchdaddy
    ok guys you've convinced me, I can;t wait now, just hope the weather holds up.

Huffer
    Been Running Without For 23 Years!