Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 455 olds

dekmaster
    Hi I currently have a working Rogers with a 455 olds in it. After reading everything on these forums I am very worried about spinning bearing and other engine problems. I have a tight budget like most boaters so I don't have the funds to upgrade to a BBC or BBF. I found this deal locally and want to know your opinions. I am looking at this a spare engine to build while the current one is being used. When it goes down I'll have a fresh one to put in. Please let me know if you were in my position what you would do.
    thanks in advance.
    -----
    I am selling a mostly complete 455 Oldsmobile engine minus timing chain and gears. I have lots of parts: 3 cams from stock to mild to big, extra lifters, jet boat exhaust, motor mount, 3 intakes, extra rods and pistons (some are balanced and forged), and a 12 quart oil pan with windage tray. Basically the engine was in a jet boat and spun a rod bearing after being rebuilt and i need rid of it by next week because im moving and no longer have use for this stuff.If you're interested you'll need a engine hoist when you come pick it up, and you have to take it all. First $300 takes it.

Mark Sims
    go to realoldspower.com and those guys can tell you what to do. my olds spins to 5200 with no issues. had it for 8 years now. short bursts at top speed, build it right and it will live.

mj680
    Call Mondello OLDS in Paso Robles,CA.They have all the right parts and advise.All the others guys are copy cats.Joe has been building OLDS motors for 35 years and is known as "DOCTOR OLDSMOBLE". :2purples:

n8dawg
    I got an olds also. Mine runs strong all day long, spins about 5100 rpms and even takes down a few of thoughs other motors.

malcolm
    Be carefull dealing with Mondello's, Joe's not running the place any longer. Most of his parts can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

Mark Sims
    Malcolm is right about joe mondello. You can get any part you need for olds on the ROP board. Some of these guys are going faster than joe's olds twister anyway. mondello prices are laughable.

dekmaster
    should i jump on this deal

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Build it loose as possible! .003 on the mains and .0025 on the rods. Get restricted pushrods. stock volume oil pump,arp main and rod bolts,align hone the block,balance it,shot peen the rods, try to get a standard crank,10qt oil pan, and keep the rpm's down. She will live. I just sold my boat with a olds in it. She ran great. I took my time when I built it so it lasted. If you need any info let me know

psdperformance
    I just rebuilt my 455 olds and it is a great motor with lots of torque. The key is to not build it like a hot rod and it will last many years. I recommend switching to roller rockers from comp cams and one of their cams and a edelbrock intake manifold. I did and what a difference it made. I kept the compression low like 8.1 and make sure you balance the complete motor. I agree set up the oil clearances a little loose i went .0022 the book says you can go .0033. Alll total i spent around $1700 for the block work new cam,lifters,roller rockers,intake manifold i did the crank and rod work myself and had the short block done by the machine shop so they could degree the cam in correctly make sure you have this done as the cam i got was way off.
    Later, Chris

Wet Dream
    Call Mondello OLDS in Paso Robles,CA.They have all the right parts and advise.All the others guys are copy cats.Joe has been building OLDS motors for 35 years and is known as "DOCTOR OLDSMOBLE". :2purples:
    :yuk: Great to talk to, but when you buy the parts, you don't even get the reach around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast