Thread: Olds 350 band-aid

Old Charger
    Alright, I've decided to upgrade to a 454, but gotta keep the Olds 350 going until I can pony up the cash.
    So here's my problem right now. When I get the boat up to its top cruising speed, its turning around 4000 rpm with just a little pedal left. Problem is, if I try to put it to the floor at that point, it'll do the ol' bog and sputter routine until I back off it.
    What gives? Fuel pump not keepin' up? Jetting? Bad carb?
    The boat's a '77 21ft Charger mini daycruiser. 350 Olds, 750 Q-jet, stock mechanical fuel pump. It's a covered motor with a flame arrestor. I took the cover off and ran it to get some air into it. It helped a little but didn't solve my problem...
    [This message has been edited by Old Charger (edited July 15, 2001).]

froggystyle
    Definitely lean. One of the above is causing it. Start at the back, and work forward. That's what contaminants do.

mister460
    Make sure you've got enough fuel flow and pressure at WOT. Change the filters and get rid of that stupid sintered bronze filter that screws into the carb. They suck! then try pump, jets, etc. Does it bog and SPUTTER or does it POP loudly? Just curious. Good luck!

Old Charger
    Bog and sputter. Until you get off the gas.
    Thinking about replacing the fuel pump with a HP one. Like a Edelbrock Victor series. I was told that if I go over 5-7 psi I'll have to run a bypass. True?

mister460
    Most carbs run about 6 lbs at idle. Idle is where your pressure will be highest. You probably don't need a bypass, just an adjustable regulator. I have a Holley on my truck that works awesome. Some pumps have a bypass or return line built into them. If your tanks don't have a provision for a return line it may be a hassle.